Tractor Forum banner
21 - 40 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
Kubota M9960
33 Posts
How far away is “up there”? I want to follow your progress so keep posting info and photos.
I lost my dad in 2020 too and really miss him, he left notes on everything about how to use/operate stuff..my mom is still living at home at 98.
what’s your general location? Maybe a member is nearby and would help you move it..

·
Registered
12 Posts
Nice tractor for sitting idle in the woods for that long. We have 2 New Hollands that look a lot worse without sitting outside that much, but NH sources from many locations and ours are larger, definitely sourced from different plants. I'm surprised the clutch and brake are rusted solid. Need to get them free first. Fresh fuel sounds like the way to go but draining everything first off can make starting rough, especially if you are not familiar with diesels and working out in the woods. If you drain it down, find info on how to bleed a system (if you can't find your dad's manual, find one somewhere). I would give it a try first but that's me working with 2 relatives and over 30 tractors ranging from over 60 to 3 months. The rock on the rear - it appears to be chained to the upper link but can't see lower. Is it a ballast block? Loader and that rock might dictate you need to get it running before moving it so dragging it to a spot easier to work in might not be an option. From what I see of the cylinder rods exposed, they should not be a problem. Rods are hard chrome plated. My path would be fresh battery, free the pedals, and see if it runs, then go through full maintenance including fluids and filters.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Haven't seen this mentioned yet. Gear drive boomers tend to have clutches freeze after sitting for a while. You can depress the clutch pedal but the clutch doesnt disengage. You will know this exists if you cant easily put the tractor in gear. If yours is frozen, first get it running and get the loader working. Then put it in low range, lower the bucket until the front wheels are off the ground, depress the clutch pedal, and force the left hand shift lever into Forward (up). Usually breaks free in a few feet.

·
781 Posts
Haven't seen this mentioned yet. Gear drive boomers tend to have clutches freeze after sitting for a while. You can depress the clutch pedal but the clutch doesnt disengage. You will know this exists if you cant easily put the tractor in gear. If yours is frozen, first get it running and get the loader working. Then put it in low range, lower the bucket until the front wheels are off the ground, depress the clutch pedal, and force the left hand shift lever into Forward (up). Usually breaks free in a few feet.
I would not use that method, I much prefer to start it in gear and in one of the higher gears were the brakes have a chance of overpowering the engine to stall it out if need be.
Forcing that shuttle shift into gear with everything turning is a bit rough on things.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I would not use that method, I much prefer to start it in gear and in one of the higher gears were the brakes have a chance of overpowering the engine to stall it out if need be.
Forcing that shuttle shift into gear with everything turning is a bit rough on things.
Curious how one starts a gear drive boomer in gear

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
@Jayne Thank you for the reply! Thank you for the advice. I will make sure that the solenoids are in good working order I'm also going to read up on the solenoids in the manual when I get a chance. I can't express in words and over the internet how thankful I am for all the advice that has been given freely to me. I only hope that one day I can pay it forward to someone that may find their self in a similar situation.

@brian BSL Thank you for the reply, I was just gonna clean them real good and lube them, I was just gonna treat them like we do the landing gear on the airplanes.

@JB Freeman Thank you for your reply. I'd gladly give it back if it meant I got my dad back, but I also know that it would bring him a level of happiness knowing that one of his boys is using it and getting work out of it.

@Fotoguzzi Thank you for your reply. I'm sorry for your loss also, I miss my dad everyday. I live in Northwest Florida, and he lived in Southeast Alabama only about an hour or so from me. My brother-in-law has a truck and trailer that will haul it. I will get with him after I get it running and we'll get it back down here to FL. My dad was a retired Master Sergeant from the Army so he was really organized. I found the operators manual in a plastic box he had. He had notes written in it about the oil filters and hydro filters from where he changed them. I will definitely keep posting updates and more pictures.

@MHarryE Thank you for your reply. I was looking at the picture just this morning and noticed it was connected to what appears to be a ballast of some sort. I'm figuring it was probably home made with half of a 55gal drum and some concrete because that's how my dad rolled. He once made boat anchors out of coffee cans, U bolts and concrete. So I could see him doing something like that. I found the operators manual and have been flipping through it like a mad man, I want to get back up to his place in a couple of weeks and try to get it started.

@Alan Dalton Thank you for your reply. That could be what has happened from the lack of use I guess. The clutch pedal is in the depressed position, and I think the brake pedals are just frozen. I can move all of the other control levers freely. I for sure I can move the range lever freely because I did a few times. Thank you for that suggestion. I'm hoping some PBblaster and working the pedal can get the clutch and brake pedals in working order.

@LouNY Thank you again for chiming in again. If for some reason I can't get the pedals freed up I'm going to try your method first and if all else fails try Alan's method and hope everything sorts itself out in the process. Is pull starting a tractor the same process as push starting a pick-up, where you get it rolling and dump the clutch?

·
Premium Member
127 Posts
Before doing anything like opening the fuel system, check to make sure there is crankcase oil, cooling water, and diesel in the fuel tank. make sure you have access to the engine air input so it can be blocked off in case of runaway, Install a good battery, and give it a start. (It is truly a diesel I assume). It has a high probability it will start.

From this point you will determine what to do next.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
And I almost forgot the most important of this whole evolution.......Make sure you have a very good supply of ice cold beer on hand before starting any part of this project and a buddy with you so you have someone to look at and say "Dude, hold my beer" when you get to a point that you are about to do something crazy or less then safe.......LOL.....That is what friends are for.......

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Before doing anything like opening the fuel system, check to make sure there is crankcase oil, cooling water, and diesel in the fuel tank. make sure you have access to the engine air input so it can be blocked off in case of runaway, Install a good battery, and give it a start. (It is truly a diesel I assume). It has a high probability it will start.

From this point you will determine what to do next.
Thank you for your reply. It is a diesel, I was also gonna check the oil, water, Hydro, and hopefully find the bazillion grease fittings new holland put on this tractor. :D

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
And I almost forgot the most important of this whole evolution.......Make sure you have a very good supply of ice cold beer on hand before starting any part of this project and a buddy with you so you have someone to look at and say "Dude, hold my beer" when you get to a point that you are about to do something crazy or less then safe.......LOL.....That is what friends are for.......
Thank you unsquidly. That is a must have and when the gauntlet of hold my beer has been thrown down. Something really amazing or something galactically stupid is about to go down. A story will be born that will last a life time.

·
Premium Member
127 Posts
Was going to write this earlier but did not want to have too long a post.

If you know how, unscrew the crankcase drain plug to test for water in the crankcase. If there is some let it drain but don't drop the oil yet. You don't want to do a lot of $$ until you know it runs. Don't worry about grease zerks yet.

Lets gitter started!!!

·
Registered
1989 ford 1720
4 Posts
i have one of those tractors, the lever on left of steering wheel is the shuttle shift, it has to be in the middle position to start. i think i would jump it to start as battery is under the hood in front. besure that the little lever under clutch and brake petal is up, if this is down the petals will not go down. there is also a rubber knob in middle just behind dash, that is a check stick for hydraulic fluid, the way the air filter is build a long 5-6 in round black tube it is impossible for a mouse to get in, but a mud diver bee can. make it run first before sinking a lot of money in it. I started a 1720 that had been sitting for 4 years by jumping it and it worked fine. just give it time to warm up

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
@John Liebermann Thank you for your reply. My next response after this is going to be an update but it's a positive for sure. Long story short I gave it a very good look over this weekend.

@drclean thank you for response. What little lever under the brake and clutch pedal. Those are still my problem areas.

@JB Freeman I agree! I couldn't wait to get back on this morning and post my update.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Good morning everyone. I couldn't wait to post this! I went up to my dad's place this weekend to work on my tractor. I have to start off by saying I love my tractor! I gave it a good looking over and it's pretty sounds machine.

I bought a new battery from wal-mart on the way up there but before I ever installed it I looked everything that was suggested by yall last week. It's definitely in need of a fluid(s) & filter change once I get it home but I feel confident enough that it's in good enough shape. In short It's a Keeper.

The oil was dark but it was full, the radiator was full and oil free, but it look like it was just straight water so I'm going to make sure I fill it up properly with anti-freeze when I get it home. The hydraulics fluids were clean and looked brand new.

I wasn't able to get the fuel filter bowl off to check for water, but looking externally it didn't appear to have any water. That bowl is on there so stinking tight, and FEL on it was right in the way. I also siphoned fuel of of the tank to check for water. It was at this point I felt confident enough to put the battery in and see what happened.

The funny part of this story....I put the battery in and got on the tractor, made sure everything was and neutral and she fired right up. Purring like a kitten. Then it died....I was like oh boy, I hope this isn't bad. Turns out when I was trying to get the fuel filter bowl off, I forgot to turn the fuel back on so I just ran it out of fuel, but I thought I had really broken it because I couldn't get it to start. Luckily I had the operators manual with me and was able to bleed the system and got it running again.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Part 2.... Sorry didn't want to post a wall of text. So now onto the brakes and clutch.

The brakes first. As suggested earlier I gave everything a bath in PB Blaster before I even started looking everything over. So I unlocked the interconnect that locks the brake pedals together and the right brake pedal sprung up to the proper position. So my problem is the left brake pedal. I'm wondering if it's the parking brake is stuck on. Do y'all know/think that with the parking brake set it could lock one of the pedals down?

Now onto the clutch, so I thought that pedal was frozen but it's not. It's in the depressed position, there is no pressure to bring it back up. I can cycle the clutch all day by hand. I just can't depress it with my foot and let it off and it return like it should.

I unhooked the blast that on the 3 point and once it was up to operating temp I took the FEL pulled the tractor forward and pushed it backwards with the backwards and was able to get it to roll. With it running the only gear I was able to get it to go into was 1st and in the lowest range and she was rolling under her own power! Once it was going I was able to get it in range 2 so I could go a little bit faster.

As happy as I was by getting her going and under own power, I didn't like the fact that I had to bypass the clutch to do it but I did it long enough to relocate it under the lean to of his barn.

My biggest concern right now is that clutch, I don't know a lot about them and I don't know how to word my problems in the search engines. One video I watched the guy said he forced it into gear and just drove it around and until clutch broke free, but he was able to depress his clutch pedal.

I don't know if it's a matter of the clutch needing adjusting or what is going on with it. I'm going back this coming up weekend to put a new door in dad's house and I'm going to spend the rest of the day freeing up the left brake pedal and looking into the clutch. I can't wait to get back up there to it.

Thank you all again for all the advice yall have given me. It truly has helped me and taught me sooo much going into this. The pictures will be my next post

21 - 40 of 56 Posts