Tractor Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy all,

I just bought a Fiat 411r that for its age is in reasonable condition.

I will spend the next couple of months bringing it back to some of its former glory.

What i cant work out is how to use this single stick transmittion to switch between high and low, currently it is in low and getting it b up to the shed today was very slow.

Thanks in advance, Brad.

·
1,030 Posts
I suspect you have a simple H pattern shift, 1,2,3,R? Try putting the trans in neutral, center the shifter left to right. Then try pushing the lever straight forward or pulling it straight back. That's how some old Olivers(and probably others) changed the range with one lever.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ahh that sounds promising there does seem to be a fair bit of distance between the H. I will try that tomorrow, mothers day today propably not appropriate to sneak up the shed.
Cheers Fedup

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi, I have a couple of 411R's maybe I can give you some assistance. Maybe not either but worth a shot !!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Much appreciated for your offer.

I have managed to find a Service and repair manual. I have also found an Operators Manual, but it is for the 411Rb, which is the gas version. Cannot locate an Operators Manual for the 411R Diesel version. If you you are aware of the location of one, greatly appreciated.

Without the operations manual I have two questions.

Question one, is the operation of what I believe is the fuel primer located on the fuel injector mechanism. A plastic white wheel. Not sure as to the proper operation of it.

Question two, I am having quite a difficult time figuring out the double shift pattern of the transmission. I think I have the lower gears selected, but the speeds feel like the high end. I'd thought I'd ask before pulling off the shifter cover to have a look as to what is going on with the shift forks.

Much appreciated.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi John,
I only have the service repair manual which is fairly technical. I can tell you though that the fuel primer ( or lift pump) is the plastic white wheel, although on mine it is metal. I recently purchased a new lift pump and it just scews into position on the side of the injector pump. I have a 411r Backhoe that does not hold prime for some reason, so to get it going I need to prime it by loosening the number one injector line at the injector, prime it by unscrewing the lift pump until the wheel rises and pumping until diesel is bleeding cleanly from the top of the injector. Tighten injector, push lift pump in and screw it back into position. And away she goes.
With the double shift pattern it moves from low to high, being forward for low and back for high, with the gear stick exactly in the middle of the pattern. So between 1st and 3rd, or reverse and second if you like. It should slide forward to the low pattern and then the pattern is exactly the same for low and high.
Hope that helps. Feel free to keep talking.
Cheers
Trevor

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi John,
I only have the service repair manual which is fairly technical. I can tell you though that the fuel primer ( or lift pump) is the plastic white wheel, although on mine it is metal. I recently purchased a new lift pump and it just scews into position on the side of the injector pump. I have a 411r Backhoe that does not hold prime for some reason, so to get it going I need to prime it by loosening the number one injector line at the injector, prime it by unscrewing the lift pump until the wheel rises and pumping until diesel is bleeding cleanly from the top of the injector. Tighten injector, push lift pump in and screw it back into position. And away she goes.
With the double shift pattern it moves from low to high, being forward for low and back for high, with the gear stick exactly in the middle of the pattern. So between 1st and 3rd, or reverse and second if you like. It should slide forward to the low pattern and then the pattern is exactly the same for low and high.
Hope that helps. Feel free to keep talking.
Cheers
Trevor
Hi Trevor,

Much appreciated for your response.

I managed to find an Instruction manual, but it is for the gas 411Rb, I can send it to you if you'd like, but odds are you already know what is in it.

I think I figured out the shifter. Seem to have all the gears, although it sure takes a bit of doing and finesse to shift.

I looked at the primer, I might need a new one as well as it does not seem to come up all the way once unscrewed. Don't want to force it without having a new one on hand since it seems to start well without needing to be primed.

At the back are two hydraulic lines, at first I thought that they were wet lines, but they are connected to a valve control. Not really sure what they are for.

Cheers

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi John
I am not sure about the hydraulic lines at the back of the tractor. It sounds like a set of remotes to me, that allow an implement attached to the 3 point linkage that requires hydraulic action, to be tapped into the hydraulics of the tractors 3 point linkage system. My tractor does not have this. Can you attach a photo to a post and I will be able to see what it is maybe.
Cheers

Trevor

·
Registered
8 Posts
Yes I would think so too. Remotes for an implement that requires hydraulics. Neither of mine have this. Might be a later version of the 411r. Does your drivers seat collapse when you sit on it or is the suspension still working as it should ?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thanks.

Nope the rubber spring for the seat is done. The North American dealer for Fiat tractors is actually within 100km of me. Sometimes we get lucky.

I'll pay him a visit soon, pickup some filters and some other odds and ends that I'm missing. Like a draw bar.

The draft spring for the three point hitch is also broken, maybe I can replace it.

For a 50 some year old tractor seems to run well. Looks quite well built.

I need to figure out how to adjust the pto clutch thrown. The PTO does not disengage with full clutch movement. If you have a helpfull hint with that much appreciated.

Cheers

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have never had to adjust the pto clutch. However I can send you a copy of the parts manual which I have in hardcopy. This shows an exploded diagram of the drive through the gearbox to the pto. I will have to do it tonight after work ( in about 12 hrs time.) If it's ok I would like a copy of your operators manual also John. Thanks Trevor

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi John, I was going to try and scan my book however I found the same book online on this link.

If this does not work for you let me know and I will get my book scanned, and send that to you.

Cheers

Trevor
Hi Trevor,

No need to scan, I found this complete manual on-line. Did you manage to download the operators manual I added to this discussion?

Cheers

1 - 19 of 19 Posts