Tractor Forum banner

Ferguson TE Transmission -Hand Starting

710 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  sixbales 
#1 ·
Ok addicts I need some edification on the transmissoin , i understand the many gears but I am stumped on the dam lever on left side of the rear end . I am trying to learn this cute little bastard child but need some help. If any one has ponters on making it easier to start please edify me :) I need to hunt down a starter for her,I can turn her over and may once every three of four attempts get a weak pop, yes we had her running ,I just may be a bit of geeezer lol New battery and col, just need to see if there be a trick to make her start easier short of a wet aid .

#2 ·
Howdy Beaver,

I think you are referring to the PTO lever on the left side of the rear end??

Before you spend a lot of money on this tractor, you need to do a compression check on the engine. If less than 90 psi, it will always be hard if not impossible to crank/start. If this is the case, tow-starting is probably your only option. If it has been sitting idle for an extended period, you can pour a couple of tablespoons of ATF in each cylinder and let it soak for a week or so to try to loosen up the rings.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.