Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I know there's a few music aficionados in here. Who's your favorite axe wielder?

Here's my list:

Billy Gibbons - ZZ Top - #1 on my list

Honorable Mentions:

Junior Brown - a phenomenal player who plays traditional Country

Brian May, Queen - did lots of cool stuff in the studio

Stevie Ray Vaughn

Jimi Hendrix

George Harrison - A very tasteful and underrated player

Chet Atkins - the original electric guitar player

Randy Bachman

·
Registered
664 Posts
Not to take anything away from the Punk Rock & Metal Gods... but

As I've gotten older I've become more partial to Django Reinhardt. Then again Chet Atkins is pert near top rank too.

*Edit*
Hey! You didn't have Chet there when I first read the post & then when my reply got though I saw he'd made your list too. Cool!!:cheers:

·
EX Super Mod
5,317 Posts
Jimmy Page - Led Zeppelin is my #1

Billy Gibbons #2

Stevie Ray Vaughn #3

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Originally posted by CatDaddy

As I've gotten older I've become more partial to Django Reinhardt. Then again Chet Atkins is pert near top rank too.
I have an Al DiMeola Half-Master LP that has him and Paco deLuca on it. Sounds like their playing /32nd notes on their acoustic guitars if that is possible.

I did my list in haste, so there are probably some omissions that I'll add later.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
at least you guys have taste, no one at my school listens to any of the good music like any country or bands like led zeppelin or pink floyd and of course Lynyrd Skynyrd

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Originally posted by CatDaddy

*Edit*
Hey! You didn't have Chet there when I first read the post & then when my reply got though I saw he'd made your list too. Cool!!:cheers:
Somehow I tabbed and inadvertently submitted my post b4 I could add my honorable mention list.
I will blame that on the gin & tonic that I had consumed earlier. :dazed:

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Originally posted by farmallmaniac
at least you guys have taste, no one at my school listens to any of the good music like any country or bands like led zeppelin or pink floyd and of course Lynyrd Skynyrd
The triple lead guitars of Lynard Skynard still seem cool to me today, Ryan. :rockin: :guitarman :rockin:

·
Premium Member
978 Posts
Jim Croce

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
I definetly like Gibbons from ZZtop, and Page from Led Zeplin,, but my all-time fave has to be Angus Young from ADDC, he is just too cool!! I don't see how he can play the way he bops around!! He swings a mean ax!!:smiles:

·
Registered
254 Posts
How about

Eric Johnson
Robert Johnson
Eric Clapton
B.B. King
Steve Howe
Leo Kottke
Eddie Van Halen

·
Premium Member
3,693 Posts
Clapton has to be near the top of most lists. as is Stevie Ray. But the art and skill of Page keeps him in the hunt. Now what modern guitar player can not say he grew up trying to play Hendrix? There is just so many GOOD players out there past a present, that eaven to come up with a top 10 would be tough. I will put in the the clasical style of Alex Lifeson of Rush though.

·
Registered
674 Posts
1=Duane Allman ( who was picked second of all time by Rolling Stone magazine only behind Jimi Hendrix.

2 =Dickey Betts

3=Toy Caldwell

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Allman. Paige, Clapton oh hell they were all good in their day and still their music is the best so far... AHHHH to liosten to the rifts w/ your bottle of Boones Farm apple wine and a little cuttie next to you in the front seat... Those were the days:D

·
Premium Member
4,123 Posts
My top 3 list:

1. Eric Clapton
2. Mark Knopfler
2 1/2. Jimi Hendrix
2 3/4. Jimmy Paige
2 7/8. Chet Atkins
3. Glen Campbell (we said guitar player not singer! And Campbell made his early living as a studio guitarist for MANY of the most popular bands of the '60s early '70s) I saw him a couple of years ago, and he is still an extremely good player.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Originally posted by bontai Joe

3. Glen Campbell (we said guitar player not singer! And Campbell made his early living as a studio guitarist for MANY of the most popular bands of the '60s early '70s) I saw him a couple of years ago, and he is still an extremely good player.
Vince Gill is a good guitarist, too.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Heres a few of my favorites...
-Randy Rhoads (no longer with us)
-Neil Schon of Journey
-Alex Lifeson of Rush
-Stevie Ray Vaughan
-Eric Clapton

And probably my all-time favorite is Steve Howe of Yes. A true musical genius.

Greg

1 - 20 of 50 Posts