Tractor Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
841 Ford-gasoline. Fine when cold, but when warms up, the engine speeding up and down at low rpm. Smooths out at high rpm, fine under load, or fine if pull choke out right spot. Fuel bowl/screen is clean. At lower rpm lopes, sounds like a Harley. I adjusted governor to keep it from shutting off.

Any diagnostic input very much appreciated.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Hello 841stractor, welcome to the tractor forum.

Have you tried backing out the main jet 1/2 turn / full turn? Or disconnecting the governor to see if it is causing the fluctuations? Or cleaning/lubricating the linkage?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Grab ahold of the carb and see if it moves it was common on these old carbs to have there screws loosen up and the sections would leak vacuum or fuel. If any thing moves even the slightest remove it and snug up all screws. Most likely it needs a carb overhaul.

·
120 Posts
You've been given good advise in the 2 post above. Start there and let us know what you find.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks fellas. main jet adjustment jet did not make difference. linkage seems working fine . Will try to wiggle carb and check for movement. Going to get carb number and try rebuild. Ran great then next time cranked, ran like dog after warms up.

Question: pulling out choke, smooths it out at any rpm. As a temp fix; is adjusting choke to be out more at all times, treating symptom and not the problem and coud cause more serious problem?

Thanks again.

·
Super Moderator
9,519 Posts
Carb could need a cleaning if it runs way better with the choke out. Have you tried a good dose of Sea Foam or anything like that as a fuel treatment?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Tried B12 couple times. Was told about same a sea foam?

is float bowl the thing with the gas that has screen? or I carb?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
sorry.... typos and went before ready. is it the float bowl, the glass bowl with the screen, or a bowl in carb?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Guess is should take Ben Franklins advice " better to be thought ignorant and remain silent, than open ones mouth and remove all doubt"

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Am worse on tractors than computers. saying that "I" should take his advice and not expose my ignorance. will report back after trying everything suggested. THANK YOU ALL.

·
120 Posts
Your doing fine. Don't worry about the typing.
The thing with the glass is called a sediment bowl. That's to catch junk before it gets into the carburetor. You can remove the glass and clean it out after shutting the gas off. The float bowl is on the bottom of the carb. Sometimes there is a drain plug on the bottom you can take out to drain water and crud out. If I can find a diagram of your carb I will post it and we can go from there.

·
120 Posts

This should be your carb. # 358043 S is the drain plug on the bottom of the carb. Turn the fuel off at the tank and then remove this plug to drain any water or crud out of the float bowl. There will be gas coming out so be careful. If your tractor doesn't run better after that then I would suggest you rebuild the carb.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thank a lot! will try that, and couple other things suggested. Then the rebuild if necessary. Had to rebuild cylinder on the single arm loader and get back on. finished today, so now can give attention to the surging/Harley sounding issue .
Genuinely appreciate the advice and drawing.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts