1. When diagnosing an issue, or showing off your tractor or implement, it's important to add images so we all know what you're talking about. Especially when it comes to issues and repairs it's important to include as many images as possible to help our members diagnose your issue. To upload images, use the Upload a FIle button found towards the bottom right of the post response box or a new thread, If you ever have questions please feel free to contact me, My username is Austin.
    Dismiss Notice

Farmall H will not start

Discussion in 'Case / Farmall - International Harvester' started by ionfuel, Dec 18, 2011.

1. ionfuel

ionfuel New Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Hello - I am a novice mechanic; don't know why my 51' H won't start.

Last used about 1 1/2 months ago; started/ran fine. Has sat in the cold barn since that time. Still has the 6 volt positive ground set up.

Battery has good crank. Carb is getting gas. getting voltage to the coil. watched for spark on one of the plug wires; seen a little spark, but just barely.

Noticed that the coil gets fairly warm after several crank attempts. Is that normal?

If anyone has any trouble shooting ideas I can try, please advise.
    Thanks,

Kevin

2. ionfuel

ionfuel New Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Hello - got it started. I shot a small bit of starter fluid into each of the cylinders; that did the trick; purrs.... like a kitten!

3. Country Boy

Country Boy Bovi-Sapiens

Mar 18, 2010
    Glad to hear you got it started. The H's and M's were hard to start in my experience due to the 6v system. My Farmall H has issues cranking when it gets cold out, and if it doesn't crank fast enough, the extra compression I have due to putting in high altitude pistons makes it stop dead in its tracks when it tries to fire. I get tons of power from the new pistons, but it does make starting harder. I'm contemplating converting mine to a 12v system to help out with that.

4. Thomas

Thomas Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 1, 2006
    Wondering if battery charger w/full cranking amps would help:confused: works well for cold 12 volt start.

When we had our H on the farm,the old girl was park on step slope..rolling jump start never fail.

5. deerseeker001

deerseeker001 deerseeker001

Aug 11, 2010
    i had a h that was a very good runner,but you would have to choke it to start,then ran fine. i converted it to 12volts and added electronic ignition and i will tell you what,you hit the starter,instantly running.best thing i done.

6. ionfuel

ionfuel New Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Hello - also had made some adjustments to the carb; the needle point screw (one on bottom on angle) and the fuel/air mix screw (one on upper left hand side) were out too far. Once I got it started I left it warm up and tinkered with them for a bit. It made a big difference on how much better it does on a cold start. Now I usually give it a little choke and throttle on those cold mornings, and even with a slow 6V crank, it fires and starts.

The carb that is on it was a rebuilt one I found on ebay. It made a big difference in how it runs compared to original one that was on it.