1. When diagnosing an issue, or showing off your tractor or implement, it's important to add images so we all know what you're talking about. Especially when it comes to issues and repairs it's important to include as many images as possible to help our members diagnose your issue. To upload images, use the Upload a FIle button found towards the bottom right of the post response box or a new thread, If you ever have questions please feel free to contact me, My username is Austin.
    Dismiss Notice

Farmall H float

Discussion in 'Case / Farmall - International Harvester' started by wildcatkit52, Apr 10, 2011.

1. wildcatkit52

wildcatkit52 New Member

Apr 10, 2011
    I was using one of my dad's old tractors the other day and it started running really rich. It seemed like a "stuck float" situation.

Upon inspection it was obvious that the float was cracked and full of fuel.

I have seen a few things online after searching in which people had soldered the float. How well does this work?

This one has two rather large cracks that intersect like a T and I am not sure that soldering would be a good idea.

That being said, is there a good place to get a float that doesn't cost $20+???

Thanks!

2. Country Boy

Country Boy Bovi-Sapiens

Mar 18, 2010
    I have tried soldering floats, but never had any luck. You have to make sure every last drop of fuel is out of the float first, and there is always the danger of igniting the vapor inside. You might be able to get a rebuild kit for that carb from a store like Tractor Supply. An aftermarket one should work fine.

3. wildcatkit52

wildcatkit52 New Member

Apr 10, 2011
    Yeah... I went ahead and ordered a new float. $21.48 isn't much when it is the difference in a working tractor or a yard ornament. It just seemed like a lot for a little thing like the float!

4. Country Boy

Country Boy Bovi-Sapiens

Mar 18, 2010
    Hell, $22 isn't bad at all for a float. I had to order one for an Onan engine in an old Case 440 garden tractor, and it was over $70. Its almost the same as the one in your H, but just different enough that it won't work.