Tractor Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Tractor Lover
4,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I had the good fortune yesterday of driving over to a small community 50 or so miles southwest of here to deliver some merchandise to an old gentlemen and his lovely wife. Whenever I have the opportunity and time I always take a different road, just to see where it takes me. I'm never disappointed because I always see something of interest.

Yesterday was somewhat overcast with the sun peeking out now and then. Temperatures were in the low 40's. It was a typical fall day. A great day for a cruise. The only way it could have been better, is if the wife was with me, but she had to work.

Fall is my favorite time of year. The air is crisp, the colors are outstanding, the smell of a woodfire is in the air and it's a busy time with all living things preparing for the season ahead.

The trees, they say, are beyond peak color, but most are still at their most brilliant stage. The Maples are breathtaking with their golden yellows, oranges and reds contrasted against a backdrop of green from the pines. They appear like brilliant balls of colored light dotting the landscape. There was some Cedars that turn a beautiful shade of pastel yellow and look so soft that you could use them as dusters. The hardwoods are dropping their leaves to protect next years saplings from the ravages of winter that is forthcoming soon. The pines have jettisoned a large portion of their needles so their won't be so many mouths to feed when the food supply slows down.

Rivers now exposed snaking their way across the landscape with water so smooth it appears frozen.

Lakes absent of watercraft awaiting fishing shanties.

Squirrels are skittering about in bushy winter coats, their cheeks swollen from the nuts they carry, busily burying them as they put up their winter food supply. They'll soon forget where they've buried most.

Wild turkeys parked under Beech trees devouring the nuts.

Cows out lounging in the pastures, taking advantage of fresh grass and occaisonal sunshine before their regimen of hay and gloomy skies that will soon befall them and last well into the months ahead starts.

This years yearling deer frolicking on a fields edge, not straying to far from the safety of the forest, partaking in a farmers bountiful harvest and not knowing that in a few months they'll be scavenging for food. Perhaps they'll find some of the squirrels buried treasures.

People on ladders busily putting up storm windows and battening the hatches. Smoke curling from their chimneys as the wood stove warms the inside. Others shuttering the windows of their recreational homes preparing their summers nest for a long winters nap.

A couple of logging trucks laden with logs struggling to get up a hill. Black smoke pouring from their stacks as they get their last loads out of the woods while they still can.

God it's great to be alive and have the opportunity experience fall.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Sounds like a nice brain vacation. I spent a little time in Alpena and the woods around there. Real nice country, except it was summer and hot!!! Glad you enjoyed the trip!

:peace:

·
Tractor Lover
4,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Originally posted by parts man
Randy, you create quite a word picture, felt like I was ridin shotgun with ya!
:cheers:
Glad to have you in the seat next to me parts man. It was a great ride. Pop open another beer.
:beer:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts