Tractor Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in need of a 'new' engine for my 3500 T/L/B. Presently has a 175 cid in it but I realize any of the 3 cylinder diesels from that decade up to a 201 cid will fit. Also know that the oil pan going back in the tractor has to be cast.
I haven't had a lot of success in locating any used motors and am not really surprised about it. I have found a 201 from a tractor that burned. Seller is saying that the fire doesn't normally affect these engines and that once the fuel system is changed and the oil and filters are changed that there they typically run without problems.

Has anyone out there had experiences using a burned motor? This is a diesel, not gas.
My expectations are that this is a pig in a poke, may be a decent pig may not be.

Even this isn't 'cheap' at all, 1k or so. If any of you believe a rebuild is in order no matter what it looks like I'd have to pass on it.

·
Premium Member
3,291 Posts
Howdy Nate,

If the engine was good before the fire, it will probably be good in your tractor. My tractor burned 30 years ago. I fixed it up and it is still doing fine today. In fact, I mowed with it for about 4 hours today. You will have to have the injection pump and injectors checked out. My pump has a couple of plastic pieces in it that melted.

Ford 3600 Fire Damage.jpg
Ford 3600 today.jpg

1 - 2 of 2 Posts