Tractor Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so, anyways, I am a bit of a "lard hind-end", and would like to become less of one.
I would tend to favor a stand-up elliptical. The recumbent machines of all type bounce my ample gut around, so they are out. My "bad" knee keeps getting reinjured every so often, so I would like very controlled low impact motion, plus I like some upper body work as well. That makes an elliptical the type that checks all boxes.
The problem is NONE of them are rated for my weight. My lean weight is probably around 350lbs, and of course I got fat on top of that.
The problem is that, like I said, none of them are rated for my weight. 350 looks about the top rated ones. Precor says they don't deny claims based on user weight, but their's isn't the greatest warranty for that class of machine and more importantly, these start at about $6k.....way more than I want to spend, but I am considering it. They are a professional grade machine that I am looking at. I have hopped on a couple of cheap ones, and can literally feel them deforming under my weight, so I would probably destroy one in less than a week. The nearest gym is something like 15 miles away, and in the "wrong" direction.

·
Super Moderator
9,248 Posts
How about one of those small units that slip under a desk or such. Some are pretty robust looking, and you can sit in a chair and work it while building yourself up to a full body elliptical machine.

·
Premium Member
4,114 Posts
Groo, I know EXACTLY what you are talking about. I weigh north of 375 and often feel things flex uncomfortably under my feet. Since I have severe COPD, I start huffing and puffing really quick under any brisk exercise, so I have a recumbent bike that I can slowly pedal. Have you seen the commercials for exercise bikes where the rider is pedaling like Lance Armstrong? Yeah, that ain't happening at all, ever. I'm not going to get any cardio out of riding mine, but I am using muscles and ever so slowly burning calories. I've had 3 surgeries on my left hip so exercise while standing for long periods ain't happening either. My doc says I HAVE to lose at least 150 pounds and both she, and my fitness training sister told me the best exercise for me to quit doing was the hand to mouth lifts, especially the ones involving pastry (My personal weakness). My exercise program is basically eat less and move more, pretty simple. Of course, getting Covid in December helped me drop a few pounds, but I won't recommend that as a plan to follow.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Groo, I know EXACTLY what you are talking about. I weigh north of 375 and often feel things flex uncomfortably under my feet. Since I have severe COPD, I start huffing and puffing really quick under any brisk exercise, so I have a recumbent bike that I can slowly pedal. Have you seen the commercials for exercise bikes where the rider is pedaling like Lance Armstrong? Yeah, that ain't happening at all, ever. I'm not going to get any cardio out of riding mine, but I am using muscles and ever so slowly burning calories. I've had 3 surgeries on my left hip so exercise while standing for long periods ain't happening either. My doc says I HAVE to lose at least 150 pounds and both she, and my fitness training sister told me the best exercise for me to quit doing was the hand to mouth lifts, especially the ones involving pastry (My personal weakness). My exercise program is basically eat less and move more, pretty simple. Of course, getting Covid in December helped me drop a few pounds, but I won't recommend that as a plan to follow.
From the sounds of it, the fat delta is about the same between us, but I have a much higher baseline, so in a bit better shape. I could never handle the slow motions you are talking about. I don't have the patients for it. It would be driving me nuts. I've got to focus in on the exercise, push myself and give it way more than you are talking about.
pretty sure I fought off the Chinese Bat Flue virtually asymptotically.

Really torn about this. I have an email off to Sole Fitness to see if their stuff is all Chinese or made somewhere else. There are so many other things I'd rather spend $6k on.

·
Super Moderator
1,129 Posts
Hi guys, not to sound new age, but what might get you to escape velocity, is trying a low carb diet. After you get past initial 2-week period of carb withdrawal, you really start shedding a lot of pounds. The good thing about such a diet is, you can still eat all the meat, dairy, and eggs you want and you don’t have to worry about counting calories. In addition to this, I have two friends that tried this, who are both diabetic, and they were both able to get off their insulin entirely.

This should not be taken in any way to be medical advice, but WHO has also now listed this type of diet as a sound weight-loss method.

Just some food for thought (pun intended).

·
Premium Member
4,114 Posts
Low carb as in no pasta? (whimper, sob, whimper, sob) Burgers with no buns? (more whimpering with some more sobs) Bunless hotdogs too? (outright bawling):cry::cry::cry:

·
Super Moderator
1,129 Posts
Low carb as in no pasta? (whimper, sob, whimper, sob) Burgers with no buns? (more whimpering with some more sobs) Bunless hotdogs too? (outright bawling):cry::cry::cry:
I feel yah, but you can still have steak and chilli and bacon and eggs.

The most difficult part is eating out at restaurants - it’s impossible to find a dish not loaded down with carbs.

Still, if you can make it through one month, the results will astound you, and motivate you to keep going.

The alternative is hospital food ;)

Reactions: bontai Joe

·
Super Moderator
1,129 Posts
Heathier to be active and fat than sedentary and thin.
Not necessarily. Visceral fat, which is the deadly fat around one’s organs, needs to be reduced. Someone can be relatively thin, and still have a lot of visceral fat. So, it’s not just a fat v thin issue.

The benefit of losing some weight in short order is that it helps one to become more active.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The Mrs. picked up a used one I found a few towns over for $700. The good brand, but not a top tier machine from them. Hopefully it lasts until I know if I am going to be sticking with it long term. I know most of these get used for a week and then become a towel rack or whatever. Might have to fire up the Deere to get it to the entrance I'd want to bring it in through.

·
Super Moderator
1,129 Posts
Well, I hope you get some good use out of it. We’d like to keep you around for a while yet.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
one minor hick-up so far. looks like we damaged a cable that runs between 2 computers during reassembly. Luckily it is just a Cat6 cable. unfortunately my choices on hand were either too short or 25' long. ran the 25' one outside the frame to test....and the kids promptly took it over for the evening.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts