Tractor Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't have an air compressor, no money in the budget to buy one and no friendly neighbors with one either. Several times I've wished I had an impact wrench to loosen something that some gorilla tightened beyond all sanity (probably me). Are there decent electric impact wrenches available? Do they work well enough to justify their cost? I'm not talking about the $29 model at the discount store, but has anyone used a Milwaukee, or Porter Cable or other premium brand electric impact and have it work at least close to what an air wrench will do? Thanks for any input on this.

·
Registered
272 Posts
look for one that has at least 260ft lbs torque
or it will not be much good
compare to a snap on 3/8 impact around 260
and a snap on 1/2 inch 300-400lbs
or there heavy duty 400-500lb models

my snap on 3/8 impact kicks my NO name 1/2 inch impacts butt

·
Registered
849 Posts
Hi
yes if you get a good one and like Topdj says at least 260 lbs
torque. Don't forget if you have a powerfull one you better spend some more and get a QUALITY set of impact sockets for
safety.
Rodster

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Rod is right. The sockets are key. Nothing more frustrating or unsafe than having a socket shatter or crumble from the torque.

·
Registered
361 Posts
:smoking:

I am still using the same ½-drive electric that I bought at least 30-years ago and it is still going strong. It has cracked 2-sockets so far before it will give up. I think it is a Milwaukee but not sure now cause all of the writing has wore off. Maybe some other old fart out there has one like it. It has a aluminum body with a big plastic red round knob/dial on the butt end that when turned to the left it loosens & tightens when turned to the right.

I also have a cheapo 12-volt one that I have never tried.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
The guy that put in our new garage door had one of the new cordless Milwaukee's I think it was 18 volt, he swore by it. Said it was the best tool he had on the truck. OK I don't know if he put it that way but you get the idea. I think DeWalt makes a unit that is about the same. You will need impact sockets to match, I wouldn't think that sears will honor the warranty if they clue in that you are using regular sockets with an impact wrench! I think both are over $200 but would imagine they will be worth it!:D

·
Premium Member
4,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I never even thought of cordless wrenches. I figured the only decent ones would be the plug in kind. This is great feedback! It helps me a lot to hear what you guys are having success with.

·
Tractor Lover
4,461 Posts
I got one from Santa...like any electric tool, you want to get the highest amps as possible:D Mine is a McCullogh but it appears to be the same as the Sears Craftsman:thumbsup:

·
Registered
69 Posts
A friend of mine uses (or abuses) a DeWalt plug-in. Thing never seems to let him down and has plenty of snot, I've had to loosen a few of those bolts!

I'm looking into a cordless for my mobile repair business. Snap-on has the best torque output of the ones i've checked out at 240 ft-lbs. Milwaukee has an identical looking unit (hmmmm) with similar numbers. I think prices are coming down a tad on them as more get on the market.

waynl

1 - 9 of 9 Posts