Tractor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's my turn to seek some advice from the great minds here!!

I have an Echo SRM straight shaft string trimmer. I've had it for 7-8 years probably.
It never gave a moment's trouble until last spring. (2016)
When I tried to use it last spring it was hard to start. Once started it would idle just fine but the moment I tried to rev the engine, it would bog and die. I messed with the choke and could get it to run okay, but it would not get full throttle even with closing the choke part way.

I took it to a local repair shop since 2 strokers are not my best field. They "rebuilt" the carb, installed a new spark plug and declared it "ready to go". I used it for 10 minutes when I got it home and it went right back to the same thing again. When I took it back to the repair shop, they said they'd work on it again, but I'd have to pay again for whatever they found. I refused. I was not going to pay them again when they didn't fix it the first time.

I took it to another repair shop. Once again, "rebuilt" the carb, replaced the muffler, pulled the jug and "cleaned" the piston groove for the ring and installed a new cylinder gasket. Again is was pronounced, "good to go". It ran for 15 minutes and then went right back to bogging every time I cracked the throttle. This repair shop wouldn't stand behind their work either so I've been working on it myself off and on since last spring.

I decided to just do a rebuild of the engine.
New crankcase seals
New ring on piston (this model only has one piston ring)
New crankcase gasket
New cylinder gasket
New carb and gaskets for intake
New muffler (from the second repair shop)
New spark plug
New hoses from gas tank to carb
New filter in gas tank
New gas cap

Cranked it up this evening and .... right back to the same old thing. Can't even crack the throttle without the choke partially on, it won't reach full RPM even if I "fiddle" with the choke.

And I need to mention that this model has a non adjustable carb. There are no adjustments for low or high idle mixture, only low idle speed adjustment.

I've researched this problem all over the internet and have found numerous posts with the same symptoms but no one ever says whether they fixed it or how they fixed it.

Please help.

Mark

·
Premium Member
3,372 Posts
Howdy Mark,

Has anyone replaced the fuel filter??

If you will look on ebay, they have a good selection of new carburetors with prices as low as $11-$12. I don't even bother with rebuild kits anymore, I just replace the carb, with very good success rate.

·
Premium Member
8,831 Posts
Try checking the shaft ,itself.
Had one do this,earlier,and found the shaft drive needed greasing,as did the gear head.

Reactions: wjjones

·
Premium Member
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
sixbales,
I did put a new fuel filter in the tank. The kit I ordered included a brand new carb, new grommet for the fuel tank, new hoses, new fuel filter, a spark plug and gaskets for the carb.
Between what I paid the two repair shops, the parts I've bought myself and the time I've spent on this thing I could have just bought a new one but it's now a matter of pride and principle.

:lmao::pedro:

·
Premium Member
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Try checking the shaft ,itself.
Had one do this,earlier,and found the shaft drive needed greasing,as did the gear head.
Now that thought didn't even cross my mind, John.
That's what I like about this forum. New ideas from a fresh look at the problem.
I'll check that next.

Mark

·
Registered
7,311 Posts
That model has a vent on the fuel tank. Have you checked to see if this is clear?

Yep I blow mine out to clear the debris from it on a regular basis. I have had my srm210 for 11 years. The gearbox Mr. John mentioned can also bog the engine down too, and if you remove the string spool head I bet there are weeds/ grass, etc wrapped around it to.

·
Premium Member
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I haven't had time to get back to the trimmer since I've been trying to get planters ready to plant sunflowers. I start a new job Monday and today is my last day at the old job so hopefully I'll have some time over my long weekend to get back to the trimmer.

·
Premium Member
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
z445guy. I can't give up now. Can't let it whip me. Gotta find the problem since no one else who's posted about this same problem has ever declared a permanent fix to it.

Between what I paid the two repair shops, the parts I've bought myself and the time I've spent on this thing I could have just bought a new one but it's now a matter of pride and principle.

:lmao::pedro:

·
Registered
288 Posts
Tradermark how much you spend between both shops and your self , im giving some logig not telling you to quit

·
Premium Member
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I started a new job last week so now I'm working 5 days/week instead of 4. I already miss my 3 day weekends! :dazed:

I haven't had a chance to get back to the trimmer since I've been trying to get sunflowers planted and wheat harvested, but I will get back to it. Bet on it! :lmao: :cool:

·
Premium Member
8,831 Posts
I started a new job last week so now I'm working 5 days/week instead of 4. I already miss my 3 day weekends! :dazed:

I haven't had a chance to get back to the trimmer since I've been trying to get sunflowers planted and wheat harvested, but I will get back to it. Bet on it! :lmao: :cool:
You'll get it figured out,,,just in time for snow ! :lmao::lmao::lmao:
One other thing I had to do to my pruner: replace the output shaft seal !!

·
Premium Member
2,675 Posts
Get a new carb, about $16 on Amazon. I never rebuild the little two stroke diaphragm type carbs anymore or end up with the same results as yours.

If it has the primer bulb apart from the carb replace that too. Same for the plastic fuel lines as they develop tiny cracks and then the carb will not pump the fuel after the prime runs out.

·
Premium Member
2,243 Posts
Wondering if you have had the ignition coil checked out ?, I don't see any mention of that being done, ignition problems can read the same as gas problems and vice versa.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Tradermark i found a little piece of advice for you on your weed wacker where u might want to check if you can on the carb there is a adjustment screw that is shaped like a d on the screw this screw causes a problem as the motor gets some wear and just have to adjust this screw til the motor runs like it should

·
Registered
288 Posts
That's good found out from the local dealer that it's idle/running adjustment for echos and that's how the dealers charge for a hour labor for five minutes worth of work

1 - 20 of 22 Posts