Tractor Forum banner

Easiest way to work on LT/GTs?

3451 Views 11 Replies 9 Participants Last post by  Ed_GT5000
What is the preferred way of working on a common LT/GT?
I have 2 Craftsmans (see other GT5000) post --- and I never felt comfortable climbing on the ground and wedging something under the deck to change blades, do undercarriage maintainance, etc... Any easier way? Ramps that bring the whole unit up safety, jacks, etc? Seems like someone should have some really good ideas on this topic. I may be way off here, but I never have had an easy time working on these things. I am handy --- I do full-size tractor restorations and engine rebuilds for cars/trucks etc --- but they are slightly higher off of the ground and dont have any blades --- :)

Thanks for any insight.

Andy
1 - 1 of 12 Posts
I have taken the deck off my GT3000 about 4 times and took it off my GT5000 once. This is how I do it:

1, Adjust the deck down to the lowest position, then lower the deck down.

2, Using pliers, pull the two hair pin cotters for the front deck hanger assy where it mounts to the tractor. (the hanger assy can stay mounted to the deck)

3, Pull the hair pin cotter for the back deck hanger (sway bar) at the deck and slip the hanger out of the brackett on the deck.

4, Pull the two front hair pin cotters for the lift assy and disconnect that part of the lift assy. The deck should now be on the ground and very loose.

5, Pull the deck forward and slip the deck belt off the pully under the engine.

6. Pull the last two hair pin cotters for the back of the lift arms.

7, The deck will now slide out on the discharge side. The front deck hanger will hangup on the front wheels when pulling the deck out. Turn the steering wheel to make room for the front hanger to clear (it is a tight squeeze).

To do all of this is only 5-7 min. Let me know if you find an easier way.
See less See more
1 - 1 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.