Tractor Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
I need some help once again. My 47 8n is throwing a hissey fit. It seems when you turn the steering wheel to the left, all is well. When you go to turn the wheel back to the right, I get a bit of stubborness. also what sounds like a tight bushing squeek.

It seems now that Lilly (My Kids Named The Tractor) is garaged, things are tightening up.

How bad is it to repair this? Can a mortal man do it?

Thanks,
Steve

·
Registered
497 Posts
Steve, it's a fairly easy messy job. The upper bearing in the steering box has gone bad. Typical of these tractors.

I suggest getting an I&T manual, it will make it much easier. The hood and dash will have to be removed. Takes a few hours to do but when it is done you will think you added power steering.

Good luck.

·
Premium Member
3,693 Posts
Any luck with getting this fixed Steve? PS had a good point, get the I&T manual if you dont already have one. Helpped me LOADS eaven with just the small stuff. My N, also a 47, had a problem with one wheel steering well, but the other REALY lagging behind. Well the manual showed how the box worked, and the one side sterering gear ran off of the other, and had a TON of lash. Wel adjusting as the book said, I had her fixed up in about 10 min. :)

·
Premium Member
1,438 Posts
".....Typical of these tractors......"

???

It's only "typical" when it happens...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts