Tractor Forum banner

Driving on paved roads

3K views 24 replies 16 participants last post by  unsquidly 
#1 ·
I have a new tractor. It has R 1 tires on it. Considering helping someone up the road about 2 miles. Most of what I would have to drive on to get there is paved roads. What’s peoples experience driving with R 1 tires on paved roads. Does it cause damage or the one time thing with about a 4 mile round trip nothing to worry about?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#2 ·
I have a new tractor. It has R 1 tires on it. Considering helping someone up the road about 2 miles. Most of what I would have to drive on to get there is paved roads. What’s peoples experience driving with R 1 tires on paved roads. Does it cause damage or the one time thing with about a 4 mile round trip nothing to worry about?

Not any problem with R1 or R4 tires. Most of us farmers drive on paved roads going place to place. I've traveled 15 miles on the tractor one way before. Top speed is nearing 20mph. Takes a long time. lol

Reactions: Vigo
#24 ·
Well. Sounds like it’s not that big of a deal. Thanks all.
Someone wants me to move their chicken coop. I don’t think far, just across the field.

What would y’all charge for that?

If you charge a fee for a service, you bring on MUCH more liability than if you are doing a friend a favor.

I might say something like "no charge, but if you want to tip me after the fact, that would be fine."
then you don't grumble even if he stiffs you, but you also remember it the next time he asks for a favor. If your neighbor is the type of person you would want to do favors for, he will most likely pay you more than you would have asked int eh first place.

I plowed a dentist's office for years without charging anything because the insurance on the plow truck wouldn't cover commercial uses. It was my father's truck, and his office had a shared parking lot with the dentist. I did however get some reduced rate dental care, so pretty sure I came out ahead.

#7 ·
av9tr72: "What would y’all charge for that?"

In $ or in eggs?

A close neighbour raises chickens and I cut the long grass on their property in early summer as part of fire prevention.

I only 'charge' a couple of cartons of eggs for about 90 minutes of grass slashing on the basis that it's also to my advantage to help the neighbours reduce fire risk on their property and in the neighbourhood generally: a fire starting on one property in long dry grass on a hot, windy summer's day will soon spread.

Jim

#10 ·
Sounds like one farmer asking another for a cup of sugar,,, never know when you'll be asking them for something. Of course if it's someone taking advantage of your abilities and expecting everything for free and not helping others, or you just don't want to run your tractor on the road, different story, tell them, or ask what they are expecting, a ten minute job, great, but an hour or two -so much per hour, gotta pay the hired man etc. There's some ideas, and now you know it shouldn't hurt your tires. Let us know how it turns out,,
R

#11 ·

NOTHING TO WORRY ABOUT IF YOU DRIVE SLOW AND DONT TAKE ANY SHARP TURNS...

#14 ·
Your real concern is how you have your tractor insured. Many SCUT and CUT owners have theirs covered under homeowners which does not cover the tractor if off your own property. I farm and have a farm policy that covers my tractor up to 150 miles from my home. My neighbor, who farms part time, had his large 4wd tractor insured on homeowners. When it burned, his insurance covered the fire department's bill for putting out the fire but zero for the destroyed tractor. As far as roadworthy, I estimate I put several hundred miles on my tractors yearly going between fields, hauling hay and grain, etc.

#16 ·
I agree with MHarryE: I too have a general farm insurance policy as distinct from my home insurance. My larger [Fendt] tractor is specifically covered for the full purchase price on the farm policy.

One reason I never charge neighbours when I assist them with any of my machinery is that I am not insured as a contractor to provide a professional service. It's clear to all and sundry that I am doing them a favour to the best of my ability as a neighbour. If some accident occurs or the job doesn't turn out to the neighbour's liking and expectation, then it's unlikely that the neighbour will be able to take legal action against me for doing them that favour.

Jim

#17 ·
I just use my tractor on my property. Gives me something to think about as far as the insurance.
Sounds like it’s best just offer the help. I don’t mind helping neighbors at all. These are a little further than neighbors, but don’t need any hassles.

#22 ·
I just use my tractor on my property. Gives me something to think about as far as the insurance.
Sounds like it’s best just offer the help. I don’t mind helping neighbors at all. These are a little further than neighbors, but don’t need any hassles.

You could charge fuel and time. My neighbor didnt have a teactor yet. His pasture was over grown badly that he got the zero turn stuck. I did his 1 acre for 5gallons of diesel. Took me 2 hours of work with the 6ft brush mower and the ruts from the horses. This was last Fall when disel was higher. We both won getting the job done. Those weed seeds would of filled my pasture too.

Reactions: NTSOG and pogobill
#18 ·
G'day av8tr72,

About a month ago I was slashing the long grass on the roadside along my property boundary. I do it at my expense because the local council does not though I and others pay rates to the Shire for things such as road maintenance. A bloke pulled up in his car and asked if I would be prepared to travel to the far side of the township and slash the grass on his property and he would pay the going rate. I declined explaining that I am not a professional contractor and, with all respect, I did not know him. [I only help neighbours I know and trust nowadays.] I live in Australia. Thirty-forty years ago running off to a lawyer at the slightest excuse and suing one's neighbours was not a common practice in Australia. It is now; Australians have caught up with the US in becoming litigious. Unfortunately there are people who will take advantage of the honest goodwill of others.

Jim

#23 ·
It’s been moved. Tires survived and all is well. I did get some insurance that covers off the farm if something where to happen. I think the worst thing was driving down these roads… I use the term road loosely, had to keep it slow it got bouncing!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.