Tractor Forum banner

Drive belt issues on murray

2K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  HarveyW 
#1 ·
I just replaced the motion drive belt on my murray riding mower. I've confirmed it's right OE belt and installed correctly. When I start it up and disengage brake/clutch, the brakes/clutch no longer stop the mower at that point. It also jerks and acts weird. Struggling when switching through the gears. Clutch and brakes work fine when the engines off and gear is in neutral. I'm lost now.

#2 · (Edited)
Welcome to the forum Hardcoremachine6.

We need the model number of your Murray.

Murray typically uses odd sized belts (i.e., half-inch sizes) with the part number branded in them. This makes it necessary to use Murray OE belts. Can you find a part number in your old belt??

In addition, the belt guides must be in place to hold the disengaged belt close to the pulleys. When the belt is engaged the belt guides should not touch the belt. If the belt guides are missing, bent, or out of place the disengaged belt can flop around and grab erratically causing problems you are experiencing.

Also check your input shaft, tensioner, and idler pulley bearings for slop that may be causing your problems.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.