Tractor Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
978 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What special things does a Dremel tool do? I haven't got a clue and what advantages does this tool have that makes it do what ever it does. My son was talking to me about this tool and I kind of was going OK OK. I just did get what he mean't. I have not yet done a search on the web yet but it has got my curosity going.

·
Registered
664 Posts
It's a mini electric multi-tool and the modelers friend. It'll drill, mill/rout, sand, grind, wire brush, and act like a cut-off wheel among other things. I've used 2 different types. One had a flexible shaft between the motor & the power-head, and the other had the power-head attached to the motor. For most uses I liked the flex shaft the best.

My dos centavos.

Link

·
a day ahead of y'all
1,311 Posts
:ditto: what CatDaddy said....but I have a flex "cable" that goes on my fixed head unit. Any job you would use a standard electric/air tool but don't have the space and/or need the power. You can get lots of different "attachments" for them.

Kind of a mini swiss army knife compared to a Bowie knife.

·
Premium Member
978 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I see from the link you can trim your dogs toe nails with it. Have anyone done it?

·
Premium Member
3,693 Posts
I hear people say how many stuff they use them for, so I got one. Had it a little over 10 years now, and maybe needed it a hand full of times. Maybe I am missing something, or maybe just never had the right job on hand, but always seems to be a better tool around to do the job.

·
Premium Member
1,394 Posts
I have never really liked the Dremel either. Ben through 2 or 3 of them so far and no more is in my future. Even dabbling in metal and other odds and ends I still was never fond of them, but they seem to be big with folks doing certain hobby crafts and for some its the ultimate tool.....I usually always grab one of my various air tools first....

From what I have been told and read the vari speed seems to be a bette deal over all than the one or two speed models......They have been around for many many years and I assume if you have a need for it it wold be great.......but accessories such as mini cut off blades sanding drums etc seem rather over priced as compared to larger like items...

The wife uses one of the el cheapo manicure tools to trim our fur babies nails.........as with at leat two of them, you wind up all over the house until you get their nails trimed, so being battery operated has its advantage.

·
Registered
499 Posts
I've gone through one Dremel, and don't plan to get another, but that may change. I mostly used the cut-off wheels. I got it when i had to cut a drain pipe welded to a rusting shower stall, from the inside!

The last job, which killed it, was cutting a steel door to fit a new window assembly. Jammed the cutting wheel in the cut and burned the motor.

If you can use another tool, I suggest you do, but if you need to cut something from the inside it's hard to beat a Dremel

·
Tractor Lover
4,461 Posts
Dremels are high speed (around 30,000) rpm motors with 1/8" collets. Rotozip offers a similar tool that has both the 1/8" and 1/4" collets on it. They offered theirs originally for trimming drywall during installation. Now they offer a myriad of bits that cut tiles to cutting wood. I think they have a little more amp capacity than the dremels.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Originally posted by Argee
Dremels are high speed (around 30,000) rpm motors with 1/8" collets. Rotozip offers a similar tool that has both the 1/8" and 1/4" collets on it. They offered theirs originally for trimming drywall during installation. Now they offer a myriad of bits that cut tiles to cutting wood. I think they have a little more amp capacity than the dremels.
my Dremel was 10,000 rpm

·
Premium Member
978 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well it seems like I do not really need a Dremel with all the tools I have, and I have stuff that is probably better and more durable then the Dremel for the home projects then this tool. I thank you all for the great imput and I think I'll pass getting one unless someone buys it for Christmas for me.

·
Premium Member
1,394 Posts
The dremel tool...........it slices, it dices, it chops, cuts, screws, drills, buffs, grinds, carves, shapes the wifes nails, does the dogs nails, trim goats horns, remove spurs fro roosters, can fill in for an emergency dental drill if need be, sharpens chain saw chains, its uses are just to numerous to mention.....its one of those type tools!

One poster mentined 10,000 rpm and another 30,000 and there is also one that goes even faster..there are single speeds, dual speed, variable speed models......made over the years and its been around for many many years............I'm sort of surprised you never heard of one before now......

·
Premium Member
978 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sorry, Chipmaker it just wasn't in the radar net and I just did not know about them. My son was yammering about it and I did not seem that interested when I have a large quantity of mechanics tools and specialized tools when I was a heavy line vehicle mechanic. I have some tools that no one has ever seen or heard of and I use them once in a great while. I even have a tool called a dogbone and you flat do not see many of them around anymore.

·
Premium Member
1,394 Posts
Dogbone, as in a ratcheting box wrench?

·
Registered
477 Posts
I have had two. Well, actually my first was a Craftsman that just quit working. The Dremel has served me well. It is not something I use alot, but when I do need it, it is worth its weight in gold.

Somewhat like Chipmaker, I tend to use it for small jobs when its not worth firing up the air compressor. I am currently installing a wiring harness in an old car, and have been using the Dremel to grind off paint from the chassis everywhere I attach a ground wire. I am also one who uses it to sharpen mower blades.

Again, I do not use it all the time, but there are certain instances where I could not live without it. The multi-speed is the only way to go.

Greg

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Originally posted by Keweenaw4310
I use it to cut the brake & shifter cable housings on my mountain bike when I install new ones.

I also use it to clear pain & rust from electrical contact points when doing wiring on trailers or the tractor.

That's my only use for it so far. I just keep buying the cutoff wheels. Love those things.
Do the Dremel branded tools have a better build quality than the non-Dremel Tools?

Keweenaw4310,
What kind of mountain bike to you have? I'm looking to replace cables on my Kona as part of a winter project bike project this year.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Originally posted by Keweenaw4310
We could get into a whole discussion about mountain bikes here.

I have a Trek 8000, Trek 8500, Trek Fuel 90 & Trek STP 200 highly modified.

Have a lot of hours on all of them. The 8000 is my main beater bike. Have Marzocchi forks on that one and love them. Best $400.00 I've ever spent on a bike part. STP has SID Race the other 2 have Rock Shox Duke's.

Time to put away the bikes and break out the skis around here.

I'm going to continue this on a new thread.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts