Tractor Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked this unit up in the early fall. Solid unit from a well known mfg as well. It also has some paint issues which i will bring up to the dealer, but in the long run I know I will have to address it with the Can and brush. I'm not so upset with that because I have yet been able to use it without scratching it :smoking:
chains and binders do wonders to the paint, and I'm a neat freak with my things. The trailer is made by Doolittle, handles 10k in weight, has dual brakes (a requirment around here NY -brake per axle) .. ..it has been very handy carrying both my compact and Cub machines around from location to location.

Duc

Attachments

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
Looks good Duc, at least it has a 6" channel frame, invest in 4 bearing buddies and it will last a lifetime!!

Wheel grease on trailers tends to settle to the bottom due to the inactivity and different temperatures , that problem will be eliminated!!

Dean

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
Originally posted by ducati996
Thank you sir ! it has the bearing buddies already installed
Sorry I didn't and or couldn't see them and meant it to be helpful SIR!!

Not been a good day!

Dean

·
Premium Member
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Originally posted by Archdean
Sorry I didn't and or couldn't see them and meant it to be helpful SIR!!

Not been a good day!

Dean
Dont sweat it ! I didnt mean anything sarcastic by saying Sir either - i just typed it and forgot about it not thinking it might upset you? :cheers:

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
Originally posted by ducati996
Dont sweat it ! I didnt mean anything sarcastic by saying Sir either - i just typed it and forgot about it not thinking it might upset you? :cheers:
Hey!! All this nicety has got to stop!! I have no clue as how to handle it!! :cheers:

Dean

·
Premium Member
3,786 Posts
Why is it a requirement in NY for the brakes? Is that for the weather (snow etc?) or just a general rule for the weight?

There is no such requirement here to my knowledge...

Andy

·
Premium Member
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
In NYS it is one brake per axle for trailers 3500 lbs (it could be 5000 lbs) and up..

I almost made a huge mistake and buying a single brake unit on a double axle trailer through the Internet.

Not all states require it but its getting more frequent. If you have a single brake unit, its easy to add them on later so your not in that much of a jam

·
Premium Member
3,786 Posts
That's funny because they sell TONS of trailers down here including 90% of the 7000# rated..dual axle tandems w/o any brakes at all....you have to specify brakes down here on trailers...otherwise you wont get any... hah...oh, well...go figure!

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
Originally posted by admin
That's funny because they sell TONS of trailers down here including 90% of the 7000# rated..dual axle tandems w/o any brakes at all....you have to specify brakes down here on trailers...otherwise you wont get any... hah...oh, well...go figure!
Not so funny! 90% of the cars and trucks in LA don't have brakes either!!

Texas /Oklahoma/ same way but since 9/11 DOT is getting more serious every day especialy in AG states!!

Dean

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Originally posted by Archdean
Looks good Duc, at least it has a 6" channel frame, invest in 4 bearing buddies and it will last a lifetime!!

Wheel grease on trailers tends to settle to the bottom due to the inactivity and different temperatures , that problem will be eliminated!!

Dean
Duc great looking trailer!

Dean

I am not familiar with bearing buddies. Please explain

Thanks
Andy

·
Premium Member
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
How do i best describe them - They are seals front and back of the axle, that keep most if not all of the moisture out (by pressure and the grease added inside) they get filled with grease and really help extend both the life of the axle and grease refill's....inexpensive as well
Not the best description i know....They are used on boat trailers a lot and really help out with repelling the water

Duc

·
Premium Member
3,786 Posts
Yep...use them on all of my jetski and boat trailers...great little invention that is nearly standard from what I have seen....

·
Registered
8,567 Posts
I had "spindle lube" type axles on my boat trailer. The spindle cap had a removable rubber seal cap that allowed access to a zirk fitting. Each time I used the trailer, I hit the zirk fittings with a few shots of grease to purge any water or contamination. As you pumped grease into the zirk, it would push fresh grease into the inner wheel bearing and work its way out to the outer wheel bearing, pushing the old grease and contamination out the access hole in the spindle cap.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Originally posted by Chief
Most states require brakes on at least one axle for 3,500 lbs. and up. Below is a link to a more detailed explaination:

Weight Limits For Towing Without Auxiliary Brakes

Just a good FYI for anyone who is towing and may not be sure. :thumbsup:

That site and related link had very good info for anyone pulling a trailer, camper. If traveling interstate it could save some headaches if pulled into a checkpoint.
I am surprized at the different requirements state to state. Especially some that require NO brakes on any size trailer.
I've seen many a travel trailer parked in a rest area with passenger tires on it instead of ST tires. Some say its okay but I say why take a chance on a tire blow out. Plus I'm not sure its legal.
HarryG

·
Premium Member
3,786 Posts
Did you add the spare tire to the trailer or did it come with it?
I might need to invest in one...plus add bearing buddies? I thought that was mostly for boat trailers......I guess I will have to look into it.

Andy
:elephant:

·
Registered
8,567 Posts
I think the Bearing Buddies are probably the most reasonable in cost for most trailering use as most trailers only see very occasional use. For those who do a lot of long distance or regular use, these

Turbo Lube Oil Lubrication Hubs

might be worth looking into but they are a good bit more expensive. More along the lines of about $52 per axle. Probably not justifiable in cost for most folks.

My trailer axles have done well with the standard bearings and caps for about 14 years.

·
Premium Member
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Originally posted by admin
Did you add the spare tire to the trailer or did it come with it?
I might need to invest in one...plus add bearing buddies? I thought that was mostly for boat trailers......I guess I will have to look into it.

Andy
:elephant:
I bought the spare, chains and binder over the Internet...big savings

The chains requirement around here tend to be a 70 grade. Its getting a little stricter these days on safety inspections requirements. It used to be ok to to have one chain looped through on the front and another in the back with one rachet chain for each chain. Now its subject to how the inspector feels.
They now they like four points of connection with binders on all points.
So now its 4 chains and four binders for the most part - I do not want to tangle with these guys if they are in a bad mood - and their ambiguity will cost thousand to defend yourself. Not worth it, I would rather cover all aspects and be over secure, then be subject to individual decisions....IMO

Chief,

I like that high tech water cooled bearing lubricator !! :)

its like the water cooled P.Cs these days (I dont have one)

Duc

1 - 19 of 19 Posts