Tractor Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry if I mispelled that but I think you get the idea.

The questions for you animal owners: What do you do with the Doodie? Do you put it out with the trash or do you have some kind of burial method?

We have 2 dogs and before I can get out in the yard with the tractor I have to clean things up, and was wondering what the best way is to get rid of the doggie land mines. Inputs please!!!:dazed:

·
Premium Member
1,394 Posts
Well right now I have all my fur babies on the back slab and fenced in with chainlink until I can get a good stand of grass establised along with the sod I laid, but I seriously doubt they will get to be back on it any time soon. So I now have to clean up the back slab about 2 or so times a day, and all I do is walk to the edge of my woods and boggy area and pitch it in there and forget it. You certainly can't walak back there anyhow so its no loss, and its not caused any problems. Before any piles of stuff always seemed to deteriorate pretty darn quick, and stepping in it had never been what I would call a problem. A lot of dog food makes droppings that seem top just keep them fully intact and hard until you step in them or they turn a petrified white color and stay where they were dropped. I found feeding a good food (not saying what your feeding is wrong ) that I can feed less of an amount and with less animal byproducts etc the droppings do not smell as bad nor stay intact. So you may want to investigate into different types of food......Go to Nutrena webiste and they spell it out as to what your looking for as well as suggestion on eliminating lots of dropings from a dog into smaller deteriorating types and what types of food does wahat.

They also make a inground dropping waste disposal system, which is nothing more than a heavy plastic open bottoom container into which you place droppings. It has a pedal accuated lid, and you place an enzyme in it to accelerate the breakdown of droppings. Mt brother inlaw took a piece of large diameter 12" PVC pipe he had and found a cover for it that used to fit on a typical irrigation valve box, set the pipe in the ground over a 4 or 6 inch layer of crushed stone, and adds his droppings from his 4 bird dogs in it. He adds brewers yeast and a couple of cups of topsoil with some earthworms, and unless you open up the lid and stick your head i you can't smell the mess thats at the bottom. Its been in use for some time now and its not getting full either.

The commercial version can be seen at:
http://www.speedypetproducts.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=DWCP
Its called a Doggy Dooley

You can also buy the regular enzyme powder seperately.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was thinking about the thing called the doddie doolie as well but was afraid it would fill up and have one big mess to clean up! I throw it over the fence into the 5 acres next door, but that isn't very neighbor like!!! The guy that owns the property was cleaning up some trees a couple of weekends ago and I got a little worried that he was going to find my little deposits!!! It is an empty lot so I hope it does break up quickly! We feed eucanuba(sp), it still stinks though!!!:D

·
Premium Member
1,394 Posts
Re: it still stinks though!!!

Originally posted by Ernieg
All shit stinks period......
Well I certainly have to agree with you on that statement, however I am sure we all know a few folks whose shit does not stink or at least in their minds it don't ;)

But give me dog shit over cat shit anyday. I hate a cat. One time I was laying some building blocks for a shop wall at my old house in Pennsylvania. I had a nice pile of sand and my older boy was mixing up the mortar for me. I kept finding clumps in it. I had assumed it was his mixing of the cement not being thourough and the clumps were clumps of unmixed cement, or he got some dirt or clay mixed into the mortar. After it dried, some joints here and there had a portion of the face pop off. Man did it ever have a bad smell to it also. All along it was cat shit. The neighbors cat had been using my sand pile as a big litter box. I hate a cat, but I think I already said that before.........just in case you did not get it I HATE A CAT!:mad:

·
Registered
275 Posts
My neighbor has a funny metal pipe about 5" in diameter sticking up in his back yard. I lift off the cap and drop 'em in. I'm careful not to get them stuck on the wire that goes down there. He doesn't seem to mind since he's rarely at home. He sure spends a lot of time in the hospital though.
Actually, I leave mine in the lawn to disinegrate on their own. Every once in a while one of the kids will step on a land mine, but most people don't tend to repeat that mistake. Last summer I saw the neighbor kid wiping the side of his shoe intently on my driveway. Apparently he found an errent mine and stepped on it and was paying me back.:eek:mg:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts