Tractor Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
can you replace them your self or do you have to replace them that often or what do you have to do? would it be easyer to buy a block with new sleeves in it?

·
Registered
518 Posts
you can pull the sleeves an put new in if needed not that hard to do cut or pull old ones out with a sleeve puller wen putting new ones in ive seen them put in dry ice n then they just slip right in n tighten up

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well i need me a good tractor so i can move stuff and i have to mave stuff alot around here:rolleyes: . the pits are where water was seting in it.????

·
Registered
977 Posts
if you are going to be using the tractor a lot it would be best to change it. on a tractor that only sees a few hours a year you could get away with it

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ok but since i never replaced any sleeves and dont have the tools:eek: :mad:

i found a rebuilt engine a shortblock for sale on here for like $800 would that be a bad price to spend on a engine?:confused:

my block also has a crack in it that mite be fixable at a machnin shop but would it be just as easy to buy this one than to buy the stuff to rebuild the one i done got and plus have to get all this work done to it?:confused: :confused:

Thank's

·
Premium Member
978 Posts
Originally posted by 30's Allis
ok but since i never replaced any sleeves and dont have the tools:eek: :mad:

i found a rebuilt engine a shortblock for sale on here for like $800 would that be a bad price to spend on a engine?:confused:

my block also has a crack in it that mite be fixable at a machnin shop but would it be just as easy to buy this one than to buy the stuff to rebuild the one i done got and plus have to get all this work done to it?:confused: :confused:

Thank's

In short the answer is if your block has a crack, the best thing for it is a boat anchor (something that Andy might Like as he has a boat:D ) The short block is probably the best answer and sounds as the most doable approach (The one I would do ) Just remember to really check the engine close and double check that all the bolts (the crank and rod bolts are properly torqued) Also the fact the heads from your old engine will be reused so I am saying go for a good machine shop and have the head closly checked and rebuilt. I realized that it going to cost money but the best rebuild for a tractor that you plan on using a lot is this method. One other thing is something most folks think that they can reuse the head bolts do not do this as the bolts have streched and you replace them with new head bolts. Just cheap insurance you get a good rebuilt engine and a tractor ready for use.:confused:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Depends entirely on where the crack is. If it's between the webbing on the top, right between the sleves, just run it. The head gasket seals it fine as long as you use one with fire-rings.
Our engine kit for $319 has new sleeves, pistons, gaskets, and everything needed to renew it. I've sold complete running tractors for $800. Sounds expensive to me.
JIm D
OKtractor.com

1 - 19 of 19 Posts