Votes: 8 32.0%
  • WHATEVER?

Votes: 7 28.0%
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
978 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I asked in the header do you guys always run the throttle to wide open when You use your equipment. I saw a debate over in another unnamed forum and decided it might be a interesting debate. Me its by what the equipment makers reccommend and it WOT

·
Premium Member
3,693 Posts
Well other then my Gravelys that have no governer, I always do when I am "using " it. Mowing tilling etc. If I am just moving it around, or pulling a light cart I run about half. Also when I am splitting with my 224, I run about half unless I have a lot of tough oak to split. Then it cranks up.

·
Tractor Lover
4,461 Posts
Only when actually mowing or blowing....If I,m just pulling the trailer around to pick up debris I see no need to run at full throttle as there is no LOAD on it.

·
Premium Member
1,394 Posts
Well I selected Whatever, as I run mine at whatever speed I need:D

I can;t see running WOT if I am just using the L & G tractor to go and pickup the mail, or run a gas powered pump WAO if I do not need as much flow of water...etc etc, so "Whatever" describes my use pretty close............Right now with no grass to cut it would be crazy to run it WAO......(Wide A$$ OPEN)

·
EX Super Mod
5,317 Posts
Well i run mine at 100% because the book says so. And with the heat we have down here and the motor only getting air pulled though the top of the hood and the sides enclosed. It needs all the air it can pull in and that the motors are designed for optimal cooling when it running wide open.

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
There are some other factors to consider besides load on the engine. If you have an older machine single cylinder with splash lube, lower rpms will not sling as much oil inside the engine. Granted you may not want a 40 year old engine at WOT for no reason, but just slightly below is where I run them unless useing attachments. Cooling isn't as much an issue because there are no sides to the hood.

On the newer twin kohler in my craftsman I usually run it at WOT for added cooling since the hood completely covers the engine.

Other than that, I have heard more stories of a thrown rod running at 1/2 throttle on the way back to the shed than at WOT working the tractor.

·
Registered
8,567 Posts
It depends. On my Deere F525 I run it at full throttle after a good warm up at about 1/3 throttle. It runs a hydrostatic pump and the front mower which must be driven at the full governed rpm. The engine is a Kawasaki PA540 which is governed. Other push mowers and smaller engines such as on the log splitter I run at about 85% after a good warm up. My generator and pressure washer run at pretty much full throttle no matter what as that is how the engine and induction system was designed..........you get full throttle or off.

·
a day ahead of y'all
1,311 Posts
I run everything pretty much full except my tiller. I run it at about 80% when tilling as it seems to handle better at that speed. When moving, it's at 100% or I'd never get there!!:D

I also only use the "idle control" on my generators when shutting down.

·
Premium Member
4,171 Posts
I run everything at or near full throttle for proper cooling and proper splash lube. They only idle during warm up and just before shut down.

·
Premium Member
1,364 Posts
I voted whatever because it depends which engine we're talking about. The dealer told me to avoid running the Deere LT150H (Kohler 15hp single) at less than 1/2 unless I was shutting it down. It has a hydro which relies on a fan to cool it. I run at full when mowing or pulling a load and 1/2 to 3/4 when stopped loading the trailer. My lawn mowers run at full throttle. The Toro Super Recyler has no throttle speed control. The tillers are a different story, both front tine. The one is 30 years old, the other probably close to 50. They run about 1/2 on hard ground and 3/4 once the soil is broken up. Full throttle on packed clay soil is more beating than me or the tillers can take.

Mark

·
Registered
94 Posts
throttle position

I guess my old MTD is better than I thought. Lots of times I have run it at less then 1/2. Always went by the load requirements.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts