Tractor Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my sister has a small lawn which she dug up and is reseeding.. they plan to get some manure and soil mixture (for free) but to me, i would consider that sort of compost and would not really think that would be good for a lawn.. plants, flowers, shrubs & trees yes.. but not a lawn.. am i wrong??

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
I think manure is a little hot but don't quote me on that. I thought I heard somewhere it can burn the lawn but someone here can enlighten us I am sure.:D

·
Premium Member
3,693 Posts
As long as it is well composted, and spred on light enough as to not cover the grass, it would probably help, just like compost would. Fresh and I would pile it, and let it compost down a bit first.

·
Tractor Lover
4,461 Posts
Manure is a soil ammendment. If she is digging up the old lawn to start over again, then the manure is safe. Spread it out and till it in.....wait a few weeks and till again....smooth out seed bed and sow seed.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Be careful if you don't like weeds. The weed seeds will be in the manure and if you spread it in thick (like most of us would), you could get unwelcome weeds. Also, probably a ton of nitrogen burns.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts