1. When diagnosing an issue, or showing off your tractor or implement, it's important to add images so we all know what you're talking about. Especially when it comes to issues and repairs it's important to include as many images as possible to help our members diagnose your issue. To upload images, use the Upload a FIle button found towards the bottom right of the post response box or a new thread, If you ever have questions please feel free to contact me, My username is Austin.
    Dismiss Notice

Do I need to cover my plants tonight?? FREEZING 25-26F

Discussion in 'Crops & Garden' started by Chris, Nov 24, 2003.

1. Chris

Chris Administrator Staff Member

Sep 15, 2003
    Ok, let me know if you think I need to cover/protect my cabbage, broccoli, lettuce plants for this quick freeze. I dont know exactly how many hours it will be freezing and below --- but it should get down to about 26F + WC.

Well, let me know your thoughts.
    Andy

2. slipshod

slipshod Lifetime Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2003
    Temp

Cover the lettuce,The cabbage and brocholli will be fine.In fact I think the cabbage gets better when it gets a bit of cold weather.

3. Merlin

Merlin Tractorforum Prince of Ponchatoula - Royal Court

Sep 15, 2003
    Slipshod is right on both counts. It will burn the outer leaves and the outer wrap of the lettuce head, but most other things love it. Especially the collards. The old timers wouldn't eat collards until a frost fell on them. The forecasts is for 3 hours of freeze tonight. Tomorrow night is supposed to be worse.

4. Argee

Argee Tractor Lover

Sep 17, 2003
    Michigan
    Water in the AM before the sun hits them. Don't know why, just know that it works.

5. slipshod

slipshod Lifetime Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2003
    cabbage

I am going to pick the last of my cabbage today,and we have had frost several times already.

6. leolav

leolav Lifetime Supporting Member

Sep 16, 2003
    Water will help to get the frost off the plants. It helps as the water is normally warmer than the air temp, causing it to melt the ice/frost off the plants.

Popular trick used up here to extend the golfing season. They water the greens and fairways very early in the morning to get the golfers out on the course. If they don't, the grass takes a beating as the grass bends and breaks.

7. Chris

Chris Administrator Staff Member

Sep 15, 2003
    Well, it was certainly quite frosty this morning but the plants look good ---- minus my grape tomato plant (still producing haha) that I forgot about. Well, about time for that one to go dormant anyhow. :D

Thanks for the advice. Lettuce looks just fine too --- leaves are flattened on the cabbage and broc somewhat but I think they will perk up with the nice sunny day --- Already 49F here :D
    Ahhhhh.. gotta love the south. :clap:

Andy