Tractor Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, a computer i am looking into has problems..
They have a cable modem, but when i use ipconfig.. their IP address is 169.xxx.xxx.xxx .
I try to do a release and renew and get an error saying that the ip cvan not be renewed..
Now i can plug my laptop into the cable modem and release /renew and it works fine.

I am guessing there is something with their network card, but when i plug and unplug the connection, it shows it asa being plugged or unplugged on the PC. So at least, the NIC is working.. but something is wrong with the DNS. when they try to go to a web page they get a windows DNS error.

The OS is Win XP, when i check the status of the card, it says its working.. but when i do a repair, it says the IP can not be renewed. I leaning towards just getting a new card, but was wondering if there would be something else to check..

I tried Detect network settings on the internet page but that did not work.
any thought? Tis, help...

PS. I also tried to get the dns & gateway and ip settings from my laptops renew, and hard code them on the tcp settings of the pc.. that did not work either.

·
Lifetime Supporting Member
173 Posts
If the troubled computer is a desktop, get a new NIC...Linksys, d-link, belkin are $10. Sometimes free are rebate at Officemax.

·
Premium Member
153 Posts
You might want to try going to Device manager and reinstalling the driver that came with your network card.

Adam

·
Registered
4,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
they are getting a new card today.. i did not know if there is any commands to try to clear out the dns prior to them getting a new card...

Ive heard of flushdns but not sure how it goes..

\flushdns ?
not sure if thats a part of the ipconfig command... as is:
ipconfig/release or ipconfig/flushdns

·
173 Posts
Like Adam's comment....before you physically install the new NIC, remove the old NIC drivers in Device manager/Network Adapters.

·
Registered
4,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No drivers for the card.. i could get them if needed..
Strange.. I did not have the option to delete the device (nic card) the delete optio was grayed out... not sure why...

Ill toss the new card in.

·
Premium Member
3,786 Posts
As Sr. Engineer for largest cable provider in the country, I can tell you a couple things. Your 169.x.x.x -- is indicative of a couple things... first it is an Automatic Private IP Address (which was assigned by Windows because it could not find a DHCP server). This usually happens when the local network segment past the PC is not working or the ISP has problems with DHCP services. Make certain that the ISP has not exhausted nor having problems with their DHCP pools. (most likely if you have had a recent lease and this is not a new CM installation or move to alternative PC, you will be ok here) In addition, make sure that you haven't changed between PCs without rebooting the CM device (some ISP lock down by controlling the MAC on the CPE NIC device and of course track SIDs to eliminate multiple public IP handouts)

Either that or you are having a problem communicating past your network card properly. If you have another PC or laptop to eliminate or help diagnose, it would be really helpful. Hope some of this helps...

Cheers
Andy

·
Premium Member
1,443 Posts
ipconfig /flushdns

That will flush it, but that is not your problem.

As for the 169 address. That is typical if Windows can not get a DHCP address. Since you plugged your laptop into the same cable and it worked, then I would look at a partial NIC failure or a screwed up driver.

·
Registered
4,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
An update:
I replaced the NIC card. Same problem...

I removed the card via hardware resources and it found the new NIC...but still the same problem. I put the most current drivers , along with removing client for windows and file share & print share. I was unable to remove TCP/IP protocol. I was hoping if i could remove TCP and re-add it, whatever was corrupt would be cleared up. But i was unabel to remove the TCP.

as a last chance try, i restored the system to 11/03 via system restore... but that did not do anything.

I may be forced to do a restore via the recovery CD...

I am guessing something with the TCP is corrupt.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
4,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks Andy et al., Good link.

ill try that 1st... if no luck ill do a recovery CD... The pc is a 15 year old kids pc and its got so much crap on it.. a recovery wouldnt be a bad thing.. it would definetly clean it up...

·
173 Posts
If it is a teenager's puter and he/she goes to Gamespot, Bonzi Buddy, etc to get all those "web enhancers" spyware...run Adaware 6.0 AND Spybot Search and destroy. Frankly, on my 13yo's puter...I said screw it and reformatted the HD and reinstalled XP.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts