·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don’t understand why a “Standard” was never developed for small
engine dip stick insertion. When checking oil levels, some of the engines
I have call for pushing the dip stick all the way down, some say lay it
against the top of the treaded opening, some say screw it all the way in
but worst of all some don’t specify where it should be.

So it’s bad enough you have to remember is this a “Fully-In” or a
“Place-On-Top” when checking different engines but I’m never
sure where the oil level really is on ones that don’t specify.

Does anyone know if the dipstick on a Wisconsin S-12D should be
fully screwed in or just placed on top of the oil tube when checking
the oil level ? The Wisconsin manuals I have seen show the dip sticks
that look like a round rod inserted into the bottom of a pipe plug and
call for placing the plug against the tread but not screwing it in.
The S-12D engine I have has a conventional looking strap type dip stick
that is attached to a screw on cap.
:confused: :dazed: :mad:

·
Registered
505 Posts
LOL.....sorry I am laughing and agree with you. There seems to be no standard from Briggs to Honda. What I finally did was:

I fill with the manufacturers recommended capacity. I put the dipstick in...........wait 60 seconds and pull it out, and punch a mark on the dipstick oil level.

I have two small MTD riding mowers, Torro self propelled, Honda, and another one I forgot the name of......all of the dipsticks are as you described....different. I have punch marks on all of them, and at a quick glance, I can tell when they are low (or overilled during maintenance and oil changes).

I don't know if this helps or not....it's just what I do.

Good luck, Mark

·
Registered
477 Posts
Thats a good point, too, as screwing it in vs. not screwing it in would make a big difference you'd think. Especially with an engine that only holds 1.6 qt's or so.

In the manual for my tractor, it says not to thread it in, but just rest it on top. I'm not too crazy about that, as the threads are pretty coarse. If you just sit it down, depending on where the threads start, could make a little difference too. If you sit it down just right, it could be a thread lower. Small difference maybe, but its far from a precise measurement I think.

My Toro WB is threaded all the way in, which I prefer.

Greg

·
EX Super Mod
5,317 Posts
Greg what i do on my cub is to set the stick down and turn it backwards till it drops and then pull it out. On all my Briggs it says to screw all the way down to check. What ever happen to the old way unscrew the cap and if the oil was at the bottom of the hole or threads it was full.:cry:

·
Registered
209 Posts
Haven't seen an S-12D in a long time.................and that was one of Wisconsin's newer engines..lol.

That's a splash lube engine....as I remember (and I get CMS sometimes) you screw it in.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts