Tractor Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Everyone here has been so helpful I thought I'd pitch this one out and see if anyone has anything on it...

Is there any kind of simple test or test kit or any way anyone knows of to detect the presence of diesel fuel (or other contaminants) in gasoline? Other than my nose, I mean, which is usually right on, but something more definitive is what I have in mind.

Thanks

·
Registered
8,567 Posts
I am not aware of any type of test or methods other than what you have mentioned already AND the conclusive test when the spark plugs fowl out and they have to be pulled and sand blasted clean get the machine start only to fowl right back out again. I used to constantly have problems with soldiers refueling gasoline powered flight line tugs with diesel and JP-8. This resulted in the above problem and the fuel would have to be drained and purged from the system. You can get away with a little but it does not take much diesel in gasoline to ruin the gas so it won't run.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Chief, how right you are...

...I've been working with a major equipment manufacturer that's been having problems with Honda GX670's on multiple units. They say they don't run right, run rich, won't idle, run only at half coke, things like that. Most have been "no problem found"s for me, but one did have a bad coil and shorted stop diode assy., so I replaced those under warranty and sent it back. I usually get these off the equipment. They called after the last one and said it still wouldn't run right after they re-installed it on the equipment. I had them send it over still on the equipment. Well, after checking comp. and leak, valve clearance, etc. and running the thing out back to confirm the symptom, I did agree that it was running a little rich. But later that night, at home, I kept smelling diesel on my shirt cuff. I don't work with diesel. All it could be, I reasoned, was that I had gotten gas on me, and the gas evaporated and left the diesel behind, which I smelled every time my hand came near my face. The next morning I took the thing out back again and detached the fuel line, ran it to empty the carb. bowl, and hooked up my own remote fuel source. BAM! Thing ran like a dream. No more hard starting. No more ease the choke gently open. No more white cloud of smoke when you throttle up from idle. Thing ran perfect. Just like a new engine should. I think this distributor has a problem with whatever fuel reservoir they have to work from, as this problem was not isolated to this one unit, but has been an ongoing problem in many units, all with Honda engines (maybe the Hondas are more sensitive than other manufacturers?). What would be ideal would be something with an eye-dropper that I could drop a couple drops into a sample of their fuel and it turns blue or whatever and I say, "See, you got diesel in your gas." Seems like such a product must be available somewhere. I'll keep my eyes and ears open.

·
91 Posts
Servicewriter
I deliver gas for a living, I don't know of anything like your asking for, I wish there was, but I know if we have a complaint we have to take a sample and have it tested, usually at the refinery
Archie

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks...

...Archie. Everyone I've asked says the way they've always done it is kind of the way I discovered it myself: soak a wrag in the suspect gas, let it sit and dry for awhile, come back and smell it. If it smells like diesel, there's diesel in the gas. I guess I've just been watching too much CSI. LOL

·
Registered
977 Posts
if the engine is runing you should be able to smell deisel in the exhaust.the remote gas source is one i ue all the time as well. in the seismic camps i used to have lots of trouble with guys filling the snowmobiles with turbo b. it would make for barrels full of contaminated fuel we would have to haul around every time we moved camp

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Diesel in Gas

Just a thought the DOT usses a litmus like strip when checking semis for using off road fuel. It turns one color for road and another for off road. Seems to me that it may pick up small amounts of diesel fuel. Worth the time to ask around.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks, Ernieg...

...that's exactly the kind of thing I'm thinking of. I'll ask around with some folks I know with the DOT.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
DOT says...

...that DEQ does this. DEQ says that Bur. of Ag. Meas. and Stds. Div. does this. Bur. Of Ag. Meas. and Stds. says that IRS does this, and I don't even want to call those boys. No way. I'll search through the private sector.
(Maybe I'll invent my own test strip and get rich.)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts