Tractor Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
849 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
I don't understand how some servers say that they are offering regular speed and high speed on a dial up modem. I don't think they are talking DSL either. I thought that you can only get so much speed on a dial up.
Rodster:question:

·
EX Super Mod
5,317 Posts
Yea i don't understand it either cant wait for the answer.:D I have dsl lite its only $24. a month Used to have the next up on dsl but it was $39. The dsl lite is fast enough for me and it keep my phone line open. The dsl for $39. was super fast and they have another for i think $49. thats as fast as lighting.

·
Registered
44 Posts
The Internet Service Provider compresses the data at their end, then software on your end uncompresses the data. It's kinda like every page you view is zipped before you get it, then unzipped when you do get it. That really shows how slow dial up is compared to the speed of today's computers. The computers at either end of the phone line have time to squash and unsquash that data, and still be faster than just passing it through the small pipe. That's also why it doesn't do anything for downloading programs vs webpages, the programs usually are compressed to begin with.

·
Premium Member
1,364 Posts
I think it is mainly a marketing ploy to get people with lower incomes to spend a tad more for more speed. Like cable TV, more money for the packages with more channels. I can not currently get DSL due to the phone co.'s line to the neighborhood. This also limits my connect to 28K even though both me and them are 56K compatible. Thankfully I have cable internet available if I decide to spend the money.

Mark

·
Premium Member
3,786 Posts
Good explanation homergreg :homereat: --- your dialup link is fed seperately then the "non-highspeed dialup" pool and onto a FastCache server where the sessions are indeed cached on both sides. Less time waiting for the local ISPs servers to have to go play lookup and then feed you the same info everytime. It is locally and that saves any number of excessive hops and therefore time on the perceived "download" of the webpage.
And exactly why it doesn't affect anything "live" or streaming since those links are generally not maintained at a local cache server level.

As for as CM, we are killing DSL and have been for last few years.
We sell one tier --- $29.95 that now has base of 3.5Mb down
and we have the bandwidth to spare. Redundant OC-12s across dual Cisco GSRs and Cisco ONS 15454 boxes. That is over 1.4Gb of bandwith available or about 805 T1 lines couple together. :D
Our utilization hovers no higher than 20-25% ever. We could and will go to 5Mb with no problems. Downloading at 625Kb/sec (over 100 times faster than dialup) for $29.95... simply amazing at the price.

DSL-Lite is a metered or QOS capped version of tradition DSL.
Usually capped at something pretty low such as 384-500Kb,
$5 less that same price we offer 3Mb for. (or nearly 10x the speed for) --- Can't you see why we are trumping the CLECs?

Ah well, interesting place to be for th consumer. I envision 5-10Mb available easily within next 1-3 years for same price. :D
Truly an amazing place to behold.

:elephant:

·
Premium Member
3,693 Posts
Originally posted by admin

As for as CM, we are killing DSL and have been for last few years.
We sell one tier --- $29.95 that now has base of 3.5Mb down
and we have the bandwidth to spare. Redundant OC-12s across dual Cisco GSRs and Cisco ONS 15454 boxes. That is over 1.4Gb of bandwith available or about 805 T1 lines couple together. :D
Our utilization hovers no higher than 20-25% ever. We could and will go to 5Mb with no problems. Downloading at 625Kb/sec (over 100 times faster than dialup) for $29.95... simply amazing at the price.

DSL-Lite is a metered or QOS capped version of tradition DSL.
Usually capped at something pretty low such as 384-500Kb,
$5 less that same price we offer 3Mb for. (or nearly 10x the speed for) --- Can't you see why we are trumping the CLECs?

Ah well, interesting place to be for th consumer. I envision 5-10Mb available easily within next 1-3 years for same price. :D
Truly an amazing place to behold.

:elephant:

ahhhh ok :confused: :confused: :confused:

I have computer.........makes pretty pictures..........this switch makes it go on..............push buttons, things go on picture...........

Thats about all I know.:D :D :D :D

·
Tractor Lover
4,461 Posts
:ditto: Yeah what Andy said.

All I know is I have the alleged high speed dialup. The difference over regular dialup are the speed in which the pictures load. They load faster in high speed, but the clarity isn't there. You can select any picture and improve the image.

·
Registered
497 Posts
I too am spoiled simple_john. The cable broadband is just awesome.

2004-05-18 09:06:31 EST: 3089 / 234
Your download speed : 3164085 bps, or 3089 kbps.
A 386.2 KB/sec transfer rate.
Your upload speed : 240615 bps, or 234 kbps.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts