Tractor Forum banner
101 - 120 of 130 Posts

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
View attachment 76678
my 31d is connected to the heat warning relay, 31 is not connected at all. Could this possibly be why my horn doesn’t work?
You mean 31b, the wire on the multi switch? Yes, it should be connected to the relay, but also to the horn (-). There should be a splice somewhere that connects the wires. In the diagram it is at the multi switch, but it could be anywhere. Follow the wire from the switch to the relay and look for a splice. It does not need to be a T-connection on the wire, it can be two wires connected to the same pin on the relay or the horn. Schematics are just ...schematic.

31 needs to be connected to ground.

This is like a treasure hunt! It turns out that you have a switch on the fan belt idler pulley that actuates the horn if the fan belt brakes, or maybe even if the belt is not properly tensioned?

Rectangle Schematic Font Parallel Engineering

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
If the diagram and theory I posted are correct, the two brown wires are on the wrong tab. If one of them goes to the relay and the other to horn (-), they should be on connector 31b, which most likely is the connector at the end of the black wire coming out of the housing.

To be more certain:
Disconnect the brown wires from the riveted tab.
Disconnect what is connected (if any) to the end of the black wire coming out of the housing.
Disconnect what is connected (if any) to tab 56d on the multi switch.
Connect a test light between tab 56d on the multi switch, and battery (+).
Connect a jumper wire between the riveted tab and battery (-).
Try the headlight flashing function. The light should go on when you do that.
Try the horn function. The light should not go on.

Move the negative jumper wire from the riveted tab to the connector at the end of the black wire.
Try the headlight flashing function. The light should not go on.

If the tests above are successful, the riveted tab is 31 (constantly connected to ground, battery (-)), and the connector at the end of the black wire is 31b (connected to relay 88, or 87, and horn (-)).

Could you post the wiring diagram for the headlights, showing switches and relays?

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #111 ·
Not yet, waiting for warmer weather next week. I will give you an update when completed. Thanks
Good news, i got the horn working by connecting the 31b to the horn (-) and connecting fuse 4 to the horn (+) but I have a problem..... the horn will blow without the 31 ground connected and I still don't know where the double wire and the wire from the heat switch (88) should be connected. Blowing fuse 5 for some reason. I am about to pull my hair out! Please help. Thanks. Would grounding 31 to the same point that have the flasher grounded creat a problem?

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Good news, i got the horn working by connecting the 31b to the horn (-) and connecting fuse 4 to the horn (+) but I have a problem..... the horn will blow without the 31 ground connected and I still don't know where the double wire and the wire from the heat switch (88) should be connected. Blowing fuse 5 for some reason. I am about to pull my hair out! Please help. Thanks. Would grounding 31 to the same point that have the flasher grounded creat a problem?
In order to help, I need to know what is what in the wiring. That can only be done by your investigations and you coming back with the results.

Before hooking up things, we need to determine which multi switch connector is 31 and which one is 31b. Did you perform the tests I suggested in post #105? What were the results?

Did you perform the tracing of the brown wires I suggested in post #102? What were the results?

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #113 ·
In order to help, I need to know what is what in the wiring. That can only be done by your investigations and you coming back with the results.

Before hooking up things, we need to determine which multi switch connector is 31 and which one is 31b. Did you perform the tests I suggested in post #105? What were the results?

Did you perform the tracing of the brown wires I suggested in post #102? What were the results?
I did not have enough time to complete your test after tracing the number 5 fuse wire, i will have more time now that I have determined that wire to complete your test. Your test is first on my agenda on my next visit. Thanks for your patient guidance.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #114 ·
If the diagram and theory I posted are correct, the two brown wires are on the wrong tab. If one of them goes to the relay and the other to horn (-), they should be on connector 31b, which most likely is the connector at the end of the black wire coming out of the housing.

To be more certain:
Disconnect the brown wires from the riveted tab.
Disconnect what is connected (if any) to the end of the black wire coming out of the housing.
Disconnect what is connected (if any) to tab 56d on the multi switch.
Connect a test light between tab 56d on the multi switch, and battery (+).
Connect a jumper wire between the riveted tab and battery (-).
Try the headlight flashing function. The light should go on when you do that.
Try the horn function. The light should not go on.

Move the negative jumper wire from the riveted tab to the connector at the end of the black wire.
Try the headlight flashing function. The light should not go on.

If the tests above are successful, the riveted tab is 31 (constantly connected to ground, battery (-)), and the connector at the end of the black wire is 31b (connected to relay 88, or 87, and horn (-)).

Could you post the wiring diagram for the headlights, showing switches and relays?
The muti-switch actuates the horn and signals, what should i do to flash the headlights?

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #116 ·
As you can see in the pictures I have provided the brown 2 wire comes from the indicator light and the other wire goes down to the wiring harness. The other wire not connected is coming from the temperature relay... please let me know if you need additional info. Thanks again for helping me sort this out.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Alright, I will repeat a part of my previous post:
"...Before hooking up things, we need to determine which multi switch connector is 31 and which one is 31b. Did you perform the tests I suggested in post #105? What were the results?..."

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
The muti-switch actuates the horn and signals, what should i do to flash the headlights?
If your tractor is equipped according to the wiring diagrams you have provided, and I have found a description that works for your tractor, the multi switch is operated like this (see picture):

H: Push the stalk to the right. This will actuate a momentary switch for the headlight flashing when the key switch is in ON position. When the key switch is in the position that turns on the headlights, this function will toggle the headlights relay high/low. More on that later.

R: Stalk upwards engages the right turn signal lights.
L: Stalk downwards engages the left turn signal lights.

Pushing the knob on the stalk engages the horn.

Train Motor vehicle Black Automotive tire Vehicle

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
...2 wire comes from the indicator light and the other wire goes down to the wiring harness....
Which indicator light, temperature or headlight or...?
Which side of this indicator light is it attached to, plus (fuse) side or the other side?
You need to trace the other wire to where its end is connected, vanishing in a harness does not give any useful information.

...The other wire not connected is coming from the temperature relay...
To which pin on the relay is this wire connected?
Is this the only wire connected to this pin? If not, where do the other wire(s) go?

101 - 120 of 130 Posts