Tractor Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone here ever used a MacKissic shredder PTO attachment on a Deere 140, 300, 316, or 318? How did it work? I have used a MacKissic stand alone shredder and didn't really like the way it aggressively grabbed stuff out of my hands. I'm guessing these were available through Deere back in the 70's and 80's. Lots of neat attachments available back then that are not available now. I am asking because I have a chance to buy one and would sure like to hear of anyone's experience before I part with the $$$.:D

·
Premium Member
4,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No worries about RPMs. The shredder is driven off the front PTO at engine RPM, 3,400+/-. Should make nice compost of leaves and small branches. I just wish I could hear from someone that has used one. These were available back in the 1960s to the late 1970s.

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
I have a mackissic shredder for my bolens 1050. Front mount pto driven. It works real nice! I have a few different screens for it also. A small hole screen for light dry stuff like leaves and small twigs or heavier stuff that has already passed trough other larger screens. There is another screen with larger holes and a bar screen for wet stuff that's hard to shred or would have a tendency to wrap around the blades it also handles larger branches.There are 24 double edge hammers inside on 4 shafts spaced so they don't interfere with each, maybe an inch or so apart. It does have a strong pull, not something you'd want to get your hand anywhere near, and gloves are recomended because it will pull the material through your hands rather quickly.
It's kind of buried for the winter now but I did get a few pictures, they are all pretty much the same except maybe for the mountng frame.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
sixchows,
Yours looks newer and in much better condition than the one I was trying to get. I was too slow to get mine, while I was negotiating with "she who controls the money", someone else got it for $175. Thanks for sharing your experiences with it. I was afraid that it pulled stuff in aggressively like the stand alone model I had used. Still, it sure would have been nice to have a rare attachment for my Deere.

·
Premium Member
1,592 Posts
Joe

Originally posted by bontai Joe
sixchows,
. I was too slow to get mine, while I was negotiating with "she who controls the money", someone else got it for $175. Thanks for sharing your experiences with it.
That is why I run a business besides working a full time job. So I have money to buy much needed playthings. The job money goes to the house and I keep whatever I make from the business.

·
Premium Member
4,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My regular job takes 11 1/2 hours out of my day now. There is regretably no time left for another enterprise. I hardly see the family as it is. Besides, the time I spend home is used helping with our daughter's homework and keeping the Mrs. happy.

·
Premium Member
4,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sixchows,
I'm now at my other computer and have photos of what I was bidding on.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Here is another view.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Joe
Looks like the shredder itself is the same, just a different mounting frame. Don't be afraid of the surface rust, they are made of thick steel. As for the inside, the first time you run something through it, it will clean right up. Kinda hard to keep any paint on the inside.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts