Tractor Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2210 800 hours. Never had a problem. Wife came in from mowing, now its a no crank no start, but I could hear what sounded like the starter solenoid clicking. 12.7 volts at the battery. Dropped a 1/10 or two in the start position. Clicked about 50% of the time

Took the starter off, put power to it and it spun up like new, but the bendix did not engage and kick the spur out.

I am not skilled when it comes to electricity but I can turn a wrench.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Them starters are crazy exspensive.

If you were gitting a click before and now it spins.......that don't jive.

I'd clean all contact/cable connections......Load test BATT.

Its possible starter is fubared......lots of small starter issues can be overcome without replacement or rebuild.

JD's seem to be very particular about a Perfect connection.
Loosening tightening don't fix it...Gotta clean all...I use some red grease stuff or dialectric type grease on whatever is electricle.

Anyone will sell you a new starter.....but do you need one...?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Update. Took starter to a rebuild place locally. The starter is just fine, thankfully. While I put power to it it would spin, but you need another 12V to tell the bendix to kick out. In a way, that is great news and the rebuild/refurb parts for these starters are locked out by JD so you MUST go to them for a new one ~$500.

Now, I did load test the battery (thank you thedukes, that came in handy). Battery is good. Getting 12V through the starter cable that carries the load in the start position. But, the second wire that pig tails shows no signal on the start position. However when I do key to start, the dash dims showing a draw as though to be trying to engage the starter.

Going to put a power probe on that circuit and see if I can fool the starter into engaging. Makes no sense. Found a diagram online shing a black/white wire going through the safety solenoid before getting to the ignition switch. Why is it drawing but not completing the circtuit?

***Power probe made a much more audible 'click', but still would not engage the starter. I've no doubt the solution is simple enough, but I hate DC electricity. Pretty sure its a mutual hate.

·
Premium Member
1,807 Posts
U can go to Walmart or a parts place(napa, pepboys, advance)
and get a REMOTE STARTER BUTTON
it hooks directly to the starter and battery.. u push the button and viola’, engine turns over..
JUST MAKE DAMN SURE IT’S IN NEUTRAL..

·
Registered
77 Posts
I don't recall

this 2210 may have what they call Thermistors.......They tend to go bad.

Heres a work around.

Asssuming this is a Hydro trans I havn't looked it up.

Get a short chunk of smallish wire 12" is plenty.

Unhook the small wire from starter.

Take chunk and hook/touch from small wire post on starter to the BIG /Hot wire post on starter.

With Key ON....tractor should start....minimum it WILL turn over.

If it don't start.....probly NO power to fuel shut off solenoid....Makje sense?

IF this is a manual trans...BE SURE.. its in NuetraL....you'll get runned over...COPY..?

This will tell;
starter functions
Battery is good
Conections are good

In a perfect world it starts.
You have a Demon in there...this will get you closer to the Exorcism.

Report back

1 - 9 of 9 Posts