Tractor Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone had personal experience using the disk or wheel type decal erasers on Ford Thousand series tractor hood decals? Do they work? Damage paint? Leave a mess? Any comments regarding personal use will be gratefully appreciated.

·
Premium Member
2,675 Posts
My experience is with the 3M wheel. It takes new tractor decals off, but burns the finish under them from friction. Will not do anything to old decals that have hardened in the sun, but sure burns the paint. Never use on the new plastic panels, it will peel the plastic surface.

I now use a 3M 03618 Adhesive Remover, spray it on and let it set, get what I can of the plastic decal and recoat. It takes time to soak through the adhesive bond, and will require a number of applications. Once you have removed as much of the decal as you can, let it thoroughly dry. Once it is totally dry use a heat gun and a soft plastic scraper to scrape the remaining decal off the paint. Then use Goo Gone or Goof Off to remove the remaining adhesive.

Do not get a heat gun near any of that 3M product when it is wet, it ignites.

Slow tedious work.

·
Caractacus Potts
2,442 Posts
I used a heat gun and a plastic autobody putty blade

·
Caractacus Potts
2,442 Posts
No problem......just need to keep it far enough back that it doesn't discolor the paint

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yup for sure willys55. I think this is a next winter project. Got to get ramped up for yardwork and fence building.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.