Tractor Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I have a David Brown tractor 880 Selectematic mid to late 60's
The 3 point linkage will not lift if the tractor is pointing down hill at all, even on a slight slope.
I've had a suggestion from a person on the forum that the tractor may possibly have the wrong transmission dipstick hence the oil level could be low or incorrect and I guess it's possible.
Is there someone that has this same tractor and could please measure the length of the dipstick in their tractor and let me know the exact length. Probably best to measure from the bottom of the stick to the top of the rim on the stick where it sits into the transmission and don't worry about measuring the handle part of the stick.

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Howdy DGS,

If you will go to the tractorhouse.com website, and scroll down to their "Dismantled Machines" section, they have 13 each David Brown 880's listed in salvage.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Great thanks for that, Though I don't need to buy one unless I can establish that the dipstick I already have is the wrong one. I'm just looking for someone that has one that could possibly measure theirs for me, to see if mine is the correct one.
Cheers

·
Super Moderator
9,430 Posts
I wonder if you did have a manual, if there is a picture showing the oil being checked.... maybe you could ball park the length of the dipstick from the photo. A long shot, I know, but maybe worth a look.

·
Super Moderator
9,430 Posts

Here's one with a business card with it to show the scale... maybe that helps somewhat. Either your dipstick is close or way off. Part number A904238!?!

Did a quick calc on the photo and it seems like it's about 11.5 inches long, from the tip to the bottom side of the cap below the ring, based on the business cards I have at 3.5 inches long.

I found that this to be a interesting resource for information.
https://sites.google.com/site/deerebrown/david-brown-info-ii

·
Super Moderator
9,430 Posts
A tonne!! I sifted through it to find a part number. Not sure if it was me or the oil indicating rod that should be referred to as a dipstick!o_O

I feel like going out an buying my own David Brown now.... maybe a DB5!;)

·
Premium Member
2,029 Posts
Just think you are an Ozzie for a minute Bill, we call them dipsticks.

And you couldn't go wrong with a DB995 neither, a good solid simple tractor, but you don't mess with the hydraulic control valve rod settings.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts