Tractor Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a D17 series 1 from 1959. It’s been running great for the last couple of years. Last year I noticed a bit of a ‘noise’ coming from the engine and decided to check the oil. It was low and I put at least 2 qts oil in it. I pulled it out to mow the pastures tonight and noticed A a noise coming from the front of the engine. It sounds like a knock, but yet a grinding sound-like a bearing that is dry and starting to go out. It also felt like a vibration running under my feet that I do not usually feel. I stopped Mostly because the temp gauge was showing hot. My radiator is leaking like crazy, I’ve tried nursing it through the last couple of years due to the $600 price tag for a new one. I checked the Water pump belt thinking it was too loose-it was loose so I tightened it. No change. After putting it away, I disconnected the belt to rule out the Water pump and generator. Still no change. I have tried to isolate where the noise is coming from. Strange as it sounds, it almost sounds like its coming from the exhaust manifold or valve cover. Here’s my concerns, I just don’t know where to start:
1. I’ve adjusted the clutch in as far as it will go-but I don’t notice a Difference when I push in on the clutch.
2. I could pull the oil pan to check For a bad lower bearing.
3. I could pull the valve cover to check for any valve lash out of Whack. I did adjust the valves a year or two ago.
4. I don’t know the name, but where the tach cable plugs in to may be bad. How often does this happen and what should I be looking for?

I don’t want to start pulling a lot of parts and just dig. I don’t have time. I’ll deal with the cooling system, but want to make sure I don’t have to dump a lot of money into something else first.
Any tips or thoughts would be appreciated.
Thanks guys!

·
Super Moderator
9,415 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I wonder if a water pump is on it's way out? Any play once the belts were off? Start with the things that can be easily inspected, valve cover for instance rather than the oil...etc. Have you determined what damage there is to the rad? A rad shop may be able to fix you up with a repair.

·
Premium Member
12,412 Posts
I'm deaf in my old age, so I use a stick or piece of pipe from my ear to the different places on an engine to help me locate noises. My wife has a stethoscope and I use that where possible too.

Reactions: Doobletango

·
Super Moderator
9,415 Posts
Weather permitting, I may be pulling my rad tomorrow! Leaking on one side near the top. Soldered it this past winter, while in place, but it's starting to leak again. May go the rad shop route myself. A replacement for mine is just over $600.00 as well.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Welcome to the forum. I wonder if a water pump is on it's way out? Any play once the belts were off? Start with the things that can be easily inspected, valve cover for instance rather than the oil...etc. Have you determined what damage there is to the rad? A rad shop may be able to fix you up with a repair.
There is significant fin damage to the radiator, and it seems to be leaking from several seams.
As far as the water pump, I’ve disconnected the drive belt to the pump and still have the noise. I’m planning on replacing the pump/thermostat/radiator once I’ve determined the repairs needed to fix the noise. The incoming rain from the hurricane make it hard to get outside to work on the tractor. It won’t fit in my shop. I have a v/c gasket and oil pan gasket coming. Plans are to pull valve cover first, check compression, etc. I’ll try to use a stethoscope to determine location of the noise.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was just rethinking about your post. I have the water pump disconnected from the belt. What’s the chance the impeller inside the housing is causing the noise? I’ll look more into this when the weather clears.

·
Super Moderator
9,415 Posts
If you try the stethoscope, you could pin down the noise much easier. With the grinding and the vibration, and taking the belt off of the water pump pulley, you may have eliminated the water pump already.
I'm thinking the grinding was before the clutch adjustment, so did the vibration occur after the clutch adjustment? The vibration may be a different problem. BTW, I'm thinking your tractor has the gas engine?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If you try the stethoscope, you could pin down the noise much easier. With the grinding and the vibration, and taking the belt off of the water pump pulley, you may have eliminated the water pump already.
I'm thinking the grinding was before the clutch adjustment, so did the vibration occur after the clutch adjustment? The vibration may be a different problem. BTW, I'm thinking your tractor has the gas engine?
It’s been several years since I’ve adjusted the clutch. I do have the gas engine. After a little bit more inspection, I started dropping the oil pan tonight. Got sidetracked with a sick goat, so I we’ll see what tomorrow night brings...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
So I finally got the oil pan off! And I managed to do it without having to split the tractor.LOL
#2 rod cap bearing is basically gone. It looks like the upper half of the bearing is gone and about 98% of the lower bearing is gone. If the weather holds out I will clean the crank journal. Hopefully everything checks out fine.
The other rod caps seem fine. Should I automatically replace ALL the rod caps while I’m here? How about the crankshaft bearings? I’m here and don’t care to have to dig this deep again anytime soon. Though knowing how to get here again is half the battle.

I checked compression before checking the bottom end and had 150 psi, but was able to push the piston up into the cylinder to get some clearance to look at the crank. I’m not sure what these engines usually run for compression, but it ran great up until the knocking started...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts