Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was not satisified with the plows i saw in the stores so i built one. it is 46" wide by 19" high. it is made of 1/8" steel for the blade and 3/16"x1.5"x 2" angle iron for the ribs. the a-frame is all 3/16" angle iron. i have recently added power angle to it.

the first pic. its almost assembled, i bungee cords were just for mock up, i added real trip springs to it.

Attachments

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
2nd pic is of it on its first tractor, it was a 1979 craftsman lt8. it was a little too big for it.

Attachments

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
3rd pic is of it on its first tractor, it has a fresh coat of paint and plow guides.

Attachments

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
more pics of the plow to come with it on my gravely with power angle, my puter' is running slow. let me know what you guys think.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Here's what I think:

First, they don't make them like that, and they should - looks pretty stout, certainly no match for snow. Spent 5 minutes looking at your design, welds and the thought you put into it. Very nice job.

Second, Where can I get an exhaust header like yours??? :D

Regards, Mark

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Craftsman-man…

Nice job. I really admire how well you formed and placed the bracing.
The finished, painted plow looks like it was factory made and will
last a lifetime. Like Agree said, it looks like a smaller version of a
commercial truck plow. It also looks like it wants to be on a bigger tractor,
so I’ll be looking forward to the pic’s of it mounted to your Gravely.

·
Premium Member
3,693 Posts
WOW!!! NICEEEEEE job!!!!!!

Defently want to see that monster on the Gravely!!!!

Great workmanship. Sealy looks like a scaled down "real" snow plow. You are right that most GT plows are pretty cheasy, and you put your money where your mouth is, and did something about it!!

·
Registered
674 Posts
Originally posted by mark777
Here's what I think:

First, they don't make them like that, and they should - looks pretty stout, certainly no match for snow. Spent 5 minutes looking at your design, welds and the thought you put into it. Very nice job.

Second, Where can I get an exhaust header like yours??? :D

Regards, Mark
I think he has the exhaust header designed to melt that last 1/4 inch of snow that the blade don't get.:D
That is really nice.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks for all the compliments!!! i got my ideas from a real plow, and gave all the dimensions to my dads friend who bent all the pieces for me. i did all the welding myself. before i added to power angle the total for metal was $10.00 for the trip springs from an ATV shop.

also the header is just black pipe, the old muffler "broke" so that was just "temporary"

more pics soon!!!!!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
first pic of the gravely. i added power angle and a rubber snow deflecter too it.

Attachments

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
4th pic of gravely. this pic is of my weight boxes and pintle hitch, which comes in handy for pulling bushes etc. i also have a 1500lbs. winch for it that mounts to the front when the plow is off. i will post pics of my other attachments soon.

Attachments

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
i bet you are wondering why my power angle lines run to the cab, well they are hooked up to a hydraulic steering unit for a boat. as i turn the crank, the plow moves, it is nice to have the option being able to move the plow "about that much" to clear a crack in the side walk. i was going to use the tractors hydraulics but they would be too fast, i like the way i did it better. now my grand total for the whole thing would be about $60.00.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Craftsman-man…

That plow looks a lot better on the Gravely. I love your “Think Snow”
on the front of the plow. Nice job on fitting the cab to the Gravely,
with the AG’s on all 4 corners this set up looks really good.

I’m not sure what you mean about the plow hydraulics, could you
also post some pictures detailing this ?

·
Premium Member
3,693 Posts
Thats a GREAT idea with the PS hydro system!!!

Looks REAL nice on that Gravely also. Good job!!!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Originally posted by aegt5000
Craftsman-man…

That plow looks a lot better on the Gravely. I love your “Think Snow”
on the front of the plow. Nice job on fitting the cab to the Gravely,
with the AG’s on all 4 corners this set up looks really good.

I’m not sure what you mean about the plow hydraulics, could you
also post some pictures detailing this ?
the plow does fit the gravely better.

well the cab way made to fit the gravely, i have sides for it but didnt have them on for the pics. it is a curtis cab. i added all the lights.the lower tail lights in the last pic actually work, they are stop, tail, and backup lights like a car, i rigged them. i also have a am/fm radio, cb and all sorts of gauges to monitor every thing

the plow if lifted by the tractors onboard hydraulics, the plow is angled by a hydraulic steering unit from a boat. the unit is a high-volume hand pump. when it was on the boat, you would turn the wheel and it would move a hydraulic piston to move the rudder. i used the same idea to have it move the blade. depending on how far i trun the crank is how far the blade moves. i will post more pics of it soon. i am thinking on using the same hydraulic setup to work a 3pt. hitch i want to build since gravely never made one and i have attachments i made for the craftsman i want to use on this.

the craftsman in my firts pics had a reinforced framed, rebuilt trans and a beefed up engine and axle. i also had a 3pt. hitch i made for it and lots of other attachments. i was rebuilding the whole thing until i got the gravely.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts