Tractor Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
8,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I broke down and did the dirty aggrevating deed today and replaced my fuel filter on my Cummins. Last time I did this, the injection pump lost its prime and I played hell getting the system purged of air and primed. The book tells you to replace the filter and then cue the lift pump to cycle several time to prime the sytem and then start the engine. If you do this, you WILL loose prime to the injection pump and have to purge the sytem. This time I didn't follow the instructions and I poured about 18 oz. of clean diesel fuel into the filter bowl before I put the filter and lid back on. This was enough to bring the fuel nearly even the the top of the filter housing when I torqued the filter housing lid down. I still had to cylce the lift pump about half a dozen times but still could not hear the lift pump load down so I bled about a half cup of diesel fuel from the injection pump while it was completing a 25 second prime cycle. I could hear the pump load down and loose rpm and I knew I had the air purged and now the system was primed.

She fired right up and wavered for a few rpm but stayed running. :cheers: :bd: :grapevine :elephant: :eat: :thumbsup: :rockin: :ride: :present: :drums: :band: :zoomin: I took it out for a road test with fuel pressure guage on the injection pump schraeder valve and notice that my idle pressure was now down to 10 psi from 15 psi at idle and the pressure draws down the 6 psi on a WOT pull in 5th gear. It used to be 8 psi. :what101: Guess I will be replacing a lift pump in the near future as well but that is covered under warranty.

Anyhow, thought I would pass on a few tips for any of you who have a Cummins to hopefully spare you the pain in the ass of having to purge the system after the injector pump runs dry.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts