Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be moving into a new house next month and I'm going to need a tractor. I have 1.5 acres with few obstacles. I have tons of trees along the property line. I'm not sure what my future holds, but I would like to get a garden tractor. Everyone in my family has a garden tractor and most of them are over 30 years old. Where I come from, you either bought a Cub, wheel horse, or JD. I'm not a big fan of Toro or Sears, so I narrowed my choices down to either Cub Cadet or John Deere. I was looking at the GT2550 Cub or the GT 235 John Deere. I really like the Deere, but is it $1500 better? I know JD has top notch quality, but is it worth the extra coin? Seems like cub offers the same tractor with more hp for a lot less, but it makes me wonder why its so much cheaper than the JD. Thanks in advance

·
EX Super Mod
5,317 Posts
Well me i like Cubs:D The Cub has a serviceable trans as where the Deere don't. And i think the first thing to go on the Deere would be the trans just because its not serviceable. Now it my be 20 or more years down the road but to me thats Deere's weak point. Also the cub has a five year 500 hr warranty (can you tell i like the cub better). But my best advice is to go and sit on them and test ride and cut or whatever with them and then you will know for sure which one is best for you. The Cub cost less because it don't have that HIGH DOLLAR GREEN PAINT.:D

·
Premium Member
1,039 Posts
I just did a quick check on Cub and Deeres pricing. You can get a Cub 3000 series w/ deck for what Deere wants for a GT235.
Its not even a fair comparison..... the choice should be pretty obvious I would think....

Duc

============================================
GT235
18 HP V-Twin Kawasaki Engine
Hydrostatic Transmission
48C Mower
$5,239.00

GT 3100 23 HP Kohler Command V-Twin OHV Opt Deck $ 4599
GT 3200 25 HP Kohler Command V-Twin OHV Opt Deck $ 5999

Series 3000 Decks
209 44" Deck $ 949
394 50" Deck $ 999

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Besides cost I would factor in your local dealers, resale value, ergonomics and build quality. On paper it looks like the CC is a lot better value. The Deere will probably have a better resale value.

Jody's right, you pay a premium for the Green Paint. Either way, your getting a really good machine.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Lets see.....

shaft drive vs belt drive
21hp kohler vs 18 kawa
castiron rear vs alum
timken roller in deck spindle vs ??
metal hoods like a tractor SHOULD have.
all for ALOT less $$.....pocket the difference

OR move up to a 3000 series w/power steering and shaft drive deck for almost same $$.

We just sold a 3255 w/48" for 5699.......its a beast !

·
Premium Member
4,171 Posts
I love Deeres, and own 3 old timers, but The Deere GT235 vs. the Cub 2550 is a tough choice in that both machines are good, but the Cub is so much cheaper without really losing anything in terms of quality or capability except it has a manual lift. The Deere GT235 vs. the Cub 3000 series, I'd have to strongly recomend the Cub as the 3000 series is I think a better machine. The Cub 3000 series offers a larger snow plow with hydraulic lift AND angling, a larger snowblower, a category "0" 3 point hitch is available, and I think over all the tractor is heavier duty than the Deere GT235. I am also not a big fan of the Kawasaki engines. Deere has had an ongoing problem with the Kawasaki in the GT245. BUT! Go sit on each one for several minutes and check out the leg room, belly room (if needed), back support on the seat, ease of getting on and off, are the controls easily reached by you, Can you raise the mower deck comfortably on the manual lift models? Will you be able to raise the front mounted implements easily? Will your spouse be able to operate the lift? Doesn't matter what color machine you buy, if it does not fit you, you'll soon hate it.

·
EX Super Mod
5,317 Posts
I just looked at the Cub and the Deere sites. You can get the Cub GT3100 with a 23 hp Koher and power steering and a 44" deck for $4599. And the Deere site shows the GT235 with a 18hp Kaw and no power steering and a 48" deck for $5279. I think the best deal is the Cub GT3100 it might have a smaller deck but would be much easier to drive around with the power steering and it cost $680. less a no brainier. Unless that green and yellow paint has taken ahold of you and then nothing going to change your mind.:winky:

·
Premium Member
1,039 Posts
I posted the prices above and I'm pretty sure that the machine is $4599 plus the deck of choice (lets say 48" total would be $5598)
So there would be a $360 dollar difference between the GT235 and the Cub 3000 series. What do you get for $360? you get a machine that weighs 300 lbs or more over the GT, and thats not including the deck. Fully hydrolics for attachments, lift and power steering. A heavy duty cast iron tranny that has no belts, is fully servicable and really cant be killed. A 9 guage frame, cast iron axel, more HP, considerably more leg room, shaft attachments with quick attach couplers (No belts), a vaccum activated clutch giving much longer life over electric, and the ability to spool up at any speed. More ground speed and better mower deck construction (48-50" is shaft and weighs 265 lbs) and cut. Hydrolic deck lift gives an infinite height adjustment between its entire range. And its ability to handle a hydrolic quick hitch for 2 stage 45" blower (shaft drive) or blade with angling...grease zerks up the wazoo for long life on important areas. I will stop now, I think you got the point....

In my opinion if you want value (more for your money) you dont look at Deere. They have the quality, but not the value IMO.
A say this while I have a Deere, as well as the Cub..

Ducati

·
Premium Member
626 Posts
The $4599 for the Cub GT3100 is also list price.It would not include the deck.But could probably be bought for close to that price including the deck.List price is just a guide I dought anyone has ever paid list price and if they did they paid to much.I own both John Deere and Cub Cadet and like them both.But if I was buying a GT it would be a Cub.Because you get more for the money.

·
Premium Member
1,039 Posts
I wonder about the price because the website shows it as retail price, not suggested list price and the site below shows the sales price the same as the price on the website.....its early in the season so I dont see dealers dumping leftover units yet.
My dealer quoted whats listed plus deck of choice, just as a test...

http://www.thegardenhut.com/Cub Cadet.htm

Ducati

·
Registered
83 Posts
Ducati, Now that is a cool attachment. That should give the guy some bargaining power, sort of like knowing the hold back when buying a new car. Way to go!

DenRS, You might also want to look at the turning radius of the machine you select. you said you have allot of trees, a tight turning radius will save you some time cutting. Two, ways to look at it. 1. Get a tractor with a tight turning radius and a 48" mower, or 2. a tractor with a standard turning radius and a 54", or so, mower, the bigger deck helping with the reach around trees.

We have 2 acres and mow with a JD325, much like the GT235 but with hydro lift, and a 48C deck. It cuts and mulches very well with plenty of power for the thick grass or riding up slopes. If I purchased it today I would buy the 54" deck for the extra $200-300. The larger deck would help with the trees and trimming around the beds.

We have not had a single problem with the Kawa 18HP. engine or the trans or tractor. It's a really nice machine. We also use a 48" JD plow with chains and 4 suitcase weights in the winter. No problems here pushing up to 10" of dry snow or 8" of the slushy stuff. I'm glad I did get a hydro lift for the snow plowing since you tend to lift the blade often, not needed much for grass cutting though. The wife really appreciates the hydro lift after using a neighbors without it during plowing season.

We also looked at the Cubs in 2000 when we bought. They are nice machines at the 3000 model level. The other we looked at were the Simplicities, in particular the Landlord model they had at the time. We shied away for the Simplicities though due to the mowing deck riding on the ground and the fact that we have a rough back yard. If it wasn't for that the Simplicity might have been the one to get considering features and pricing.

Good luck shopping. Let us know what you end out getting.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I didn't expect so many replies, thanks guys. Generally I'm very cautious we I see something that looks like a good deal. It seems as though the cub is a good machine thats just priced less. Once I move, I'm going to test ride each one. I just want to eliminate any machines that don't measure up before I actually go to shop. I'm not tall, so leg room won't be a problem and I'm willing to sacrifice a little comfort for durability. The wife will never set foot on the tractor. If she does, I may never get the chance to mow the yard. I didn't even consider the 3000 series cubs. If I understand this correctly, the mower decks are included on the 2500 series, but not on the 3000 series. Thanks guys

·
Registered
83 Posts
DenRS: You can't believe the number of people that buy these without ever sitting on them, much less a test drive!!

Ducati: Man, what intel. You must have been in Special Forces, or the CIA.

·
Premium Member
1,039 Posts
Originally posted by KevinJD325
DenRS: You can't believe the number of people that buy these without ever sitting on them, much less a test drive!!

Ducati: Man, what intel. You must have been in Special Forces, or the CIA.
LOL , I have been known as a trafficker of information

I forgot the John Deere attachment list complete for 2005

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I figure if I'm going to pay around $4-5000 for a new tractor, I'm taking it for a ride. Thats a lot of $$$ to spend without knowing if your going to end up liking the tractor. I wouldn't buy a used car that I couldn't drive unless it was another 69 camaro:D

Ducati996 thanks for the price list. It will be very helpful when I go shoping. Thanks again.

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
That has to be a tough business. Working on 15-20% on most tractors. Looks like about 30% on the 3000 series.

Not much room on attachments either. You know the customer expects them installed and demonstrated. You would need to sell a few attachments with every tractor just to make a decent amount. Most probably just leave with a deck.

This could also be why the trade-in value quoted to johndeere was so low. Why would a dealer pay more to a customer for his tractor than they could pay for a new one? There isn't enough room in the dealer markup to give high trade allowances.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts