Tractor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a CC with a Kohler Command 20. The tractor quit on me twice after running fine. No fuel in fuel filter both times. Here is what I have done so far. Blown air through both ways in and out of gas tank. Checked fuel solenoid seems to be working at least when it starts. Cleaned main jet in carb. Disconnected gas line from carb cranked and fuel pump seems to be working. Cleaned gas cap It will run for a few seconds and die. My question is will the solenoid if not functioning properly keep the pump from pulling gas up to the filter? The tank is full and when I disconnect at the filter on the tank side no gas is coming out. I have already purchased new fuel line and am ready to buy a pump and solenoid. Thanks for any and all help.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
I would vote for a faulty solenoid. Fairly common on coil driven units. Fuel pumps are generally good or bad. I would change solenoid first, then give fuel pump an extended run back to tank. I had a vacuum solenoid on my Blazer that controls 4 x 4 engagement. Sometimes tested good, sometimes bad. Got aggravated and changed it out when I could not get it to work during heavy snow. Bought an OEM AcDelco that was $72. Cried all the way to the bank.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would vote for a faulty solenoid. Fairly common on coil driven units. Fuel pumps are generally good or bad. I would change solenoid first, then give fuel pump an extended run back to tank. I had a vacuum solenoid on my Blazer that controls 4 x 4 engagement. Sometimes tested good, sometimes bad. Got aggravated and changed it out when I could not get it to work during heavy snow. Bought an OEM AcDelco that was $72. Cried all the way to the bank.
So I’m wondering if I cut the plunger off the solenoid to try before I start ordering parts? Baffles me that no fuel will run from the tank. I’m also unsure if the fuel system needs primed for it to suck gas from the tank?

·
Premium Member
2,858 Posts
The tank is full and when I disconnect at the filter on the tank side no gas is coming out.
you've answered your own question, no fuel no run, if you can hear the carby solenoid click when you turn the ign key to run position, solenoid is ok, they either work or they don't work.

when you say you have blown the tank out both ways, did you remove the fuel hose from the tank spigot and blow through the spigot or did you blow through the hose??, it is possible that the fuel hose has collapsed inside and is creating a blockage, a lot of fuel tanks have a fine mesh filter on the outlet inside the tank, if you have a small torch, it might pay you to have a look at this filter and inside the tank as well, as much as you can, when you cleaned the fuel cap, I would have thought you would have checked the breathing hole in the cap too ??.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
you've answered your own question, no fuel no run, if you can hear the carby solenoid click when you turn the ign key to run position, solenoid is ok, they either work or they don't work.

when you say you have blown the tank out both ways, did you remove the fuel hose from the tank spigot and blow through the spigot or did you blow through the hose??, it is possible that the fuel hose has collapsed inside and is creating a blockage, a lot of fuel tanks have a fine mesh filter on the outlet inside the tank, if you have a small torch, it might pay you to have a look at this filter and inside the tank as well, as much as you can, when you cleaned the fuel cap, I would have thought you would have checked the breathing hole in the cap too ??.
I meant by the fuel filter which is beside the engine. For whatever reason they designed the fuel lines to run up out of the tank so gravity is not going to feed it. I’ll work on it again tonight. The gas cap is clear of obstruction and doesn’t make a difference with it off. I covered the fill hole and blew air into the tank and it pushed fuel through the lines easily. I’ll take some pictures also when I get back to it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Tonight I cut the plunger off the solenoid in the carb. Filled fuel filter with gas and sucked gas from tank with a bulb. The tractor fires right up runs for 5 seconds and stops. So I think I eliminated the possibility of the solenoid and obstruction in the lines. I ordered a fuel pump and a new solenoid. The picture posted is the filter with no gas like when it shuts off. I’ll update after the fuel pump and new solenoid are installed.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
On my Cub GTX 1054 w/ 27 HP Kohler I get a full line of gas flow with the motor off by gravity. The filter looks like it is only 1/4 full.

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
I clean a lot of carburetors. I have a couple of old fuel tanks off push mowers I use to "gravity prime" for the initial start after I've had a carb off.

I also use them and a set of fuel line pliers, to avoid a fuel mess, to troubleshoot problems just like yours. I start at the short fuel line between the fuel pump and the carb and work my way back to the tank. Process of elimination ....

I always replace the short line between the carb and fuel pump with clear fuel line after I've had a carb off. I've had a couple of customers bring back machines a week after I've done some carb work for a "No-start", where I've had to borrow those famous 3 words from Karl Childers... "It's outta gas" :rolleyes:

·
Registered
23 Posts
One after thought...Have you or anyone removed the left rear fender assembly and replaced recently. Reason I asked is because once on my 3185, it too wouldn't start due no fuel to carburetor. Turns out the fuel line was pinched between the fender and frame on reattachment...

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I’m still waiting on the fuel pump and solenoid. The rear fenders have not been removed so it can’t be pinched. It is possible there is a crack in the line between the fuel filter and the tank. That’s me last resort as I am trying not to disassemble any farther if not necessary. Thanks everyone for the tips. I’ll update again soon. Parts should be in on Wednesday.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
I ran into a similar problem with my JD. I had cleaned and blown out every thing I could think of and installed new fuel line. The JD would run very well for 5 minutes, then quit. I finally decided as a final check before I started replacing parts, to check the suction scru pcuhpeen on the tank pick up tube. I pulled the tank off the mower and removed the pick up tube from the tank. 9pUp0ypj7 There was no suction screen on the pick up tube, but I could not blow air thru the tube by mouth. I wound up cutting the fitting off a 22 cal wire brush, wrapping a small wire around the remanents of the brush and pulling the brush thru the pick up tube. I did this 10 times using ATF as a lubricant, then flushed with gas. Problem cured. 3 years now and no problems at all.

·
Premium Member
8,831 Posts
Simple flow test:
Get one of those turkey basters,and see if you can draw any fuel from the tank.
If this has a plastic fuel pump,it may not be getting vacuum from the engine,to run the pump.Check the hose from the pump,to the engine.
Some are on a crankcase fitting,and others go to the valve cover breather.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Simple flow test:
Get one of those turkey basters,and see if you can draw any fuel from the tank.
If this has a plastic fuel pump,it may not be getting vacuum from the engine,to run the pump.Check the hose from the pump,to the engine.
Some are on a crankcase fitting,and others go to the valve cover breather.
I can draw fuel through easily this way. I replaced the line from the pump to the carb. Makes no difference with the gas cap off. It has a mechanical pump on the valve cover which I have ordered a new one.

·
Premium Member
8,831 Posts
Ok the pumps on the valve cover were noted for going out,.
Had one at the shop,that always gave trouble.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.