Tractor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got a craftsman club add in my mail. The #25241 sleeve hitch is on close out for $99.88 reg price $149.99.
The picture in the add shows the new style hitch, but I think #25241 is the old style.
Now the question is which hitch is the best????

Should I buy the old style or wait to here a review on the new?

Sounds like a deal for $99.88 or is it?
:confused:

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
John
Closeup of which one? I think sears has pictures of the new one on their website, maybe the old one too. I have the old style and from what I've seen in the pictures think I like the old better. The handle on the new one looks like it might bend or it might use the tire for leverage? Looks like the main reason for the new one is to leave the deck on but I can't understand why anyone would want to.

·
Premium Member
396 Posts
I have seen the pic on the Sears website and it stinks. I was hoping to see a better pic. -either one, just to get a better idea how this thing operates.

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
John
From what you can see on the website it looks like when you push down on the handle it raises the hitch but it looks like it's right against the tire. They have the same picture in the attachments flyer at the store, still not too clear. The old style uses the standard "U" shape hitch with pins holding it on each side under the axle. Then it has an adjustable turnbuckle mounted on the drawbar and connecting to the sleeve hitch behind the hitch pin. The lift arm bar connects to the top area of that turnbuckle assembly and runs over the left side of the axle and connects where the left (driver's) side mower lift link goes. Then when you raise or lower the deck lift, the hitch responds accordingly For $100, I would buy the old one and try it, if you don't like return it. Once you install a few permanant brackets it goes on and off real quick. The only advantage, I can see for the new style would be the ability to use a blade on the front with the deck lift arm. I don't think leaving the mower deck on while doing ground engaging work would be good for the deck and it would only be getting in the way and hitting off the rouggh terrain.

·
674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
"The only advantage, I can see for the new style would be the ability to use a blade on the front with the deck lift arm"
Good point Sixchows

Does the spring assist on the old style also assist lifting deck or dozer blade when not using the hitch? Or does the complete assy. have to come off when not in use?

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Ed
Mine uses the the same spring assist as the mower it can be tightened or loosened depending on how much help you need. Does 25241 use an additional spring? My part # is 25231, I thought the difference was the brackets that mount at the axle?

·
674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I guess it comes with a spring. My tractor has no spring assist whatsoever. How old is your hitch? Is it a different hitch than the one on close out.

Craftsman Sleeve Hitch

Fits garden tractors built 2002 and beyond. To be used with sleeve tillage attachments, rear grader blade. Heavy-duty hitch; pulls attachments at proper angle for the best performance.

Sears item #07125241000
Mfr. model #25241

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?BV_UseBVCookie=Yes&vertical=LAWN&pid=07125241000

·
Registered
241 Posts
Who, besides me, has the new sleeve hitch #24535 on order? Mine should be here on March 18th, and I'm really curious to find out if it'll work. I'm also looking forward to the availability date of the electric lift kit for it(#24545).
I have a mouldboard plow that's waiting on the hitch, and I also want to modify my rake so that it will mount rigidly on the sleeve hitch.

·
Premium Member
3,693 Posts
WOW guys, Never eaven realised Sears had all these hitches!!!:dazed: :dazed:

Is this normal with other brands also? Or have we just happan to catch a time when they are redisianing, or changing venders?

I had a problem with my sleave hitch on my Ingersoll. Seemed to be two short. Well there was two diferent ones, a long one for the big wheel tractors, and a short one for the small wheel tractors. Well, I have the small wheel hitch, on a big wheel tractor.[realy got to get the right one one of these days]

You guys must be going crazy with all these diferent ones:dazed: :dazed:

·
Registered
241 Posts
Paul,
I'm as amazed as anyone, as 6 weeks ago I'd never even heard of a sleeve hitch, of ANY discription. I grew up on a farm, but left for the big city when I was 14. Hydraulic 3-point is all I ever knew.
In fact, it's only been one month since I learned there was a whole world of little tractors out here.
Gotta admit, I'm a bit fascinated by the idea of a little tractor with an electric hitch. The Sears hitches are made by Brinly-Hardy and Agri-Fab, but the latest upgraded models are so new they're not available just yet. Looks like I'll have one the first of the new Sears manual hitches, and will look forward to the first of the electric actuators to come out(for the new style hitch).

·
Registered
65 Posts
"Just got a craftsman club add in my mail. The #25241 sleeve hitch is on close out for $99.88 reg price $149.99.
The picture in the add shows the new style hitch...."

Why does it show the new hitch? To unload the old hitch out of inventory. Deceptive advertising?

I have the #24535 sleeve hitch on order also. I want to mount the box scraper and dozer blade simultaneously.

All I need is the manual lift. The money I save from not buying a $399 electric lift , $650+ for a Johhny Bucket, $120 for Super Lugs and $200 for new spindles will be used to build a rear patio so my wife can sunbathe in her dental floss thong while I try to mow straight.

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Ed
I bought mine in the spring of 2000, my GT is the green 22hp kohler the one before the GT3000,basically the same tractor. Does the GT5000 have a spring up under the fender on the left side? Mine has one there that the tension can be adjusted on. If yours doesn't than that is probably the difference in the two part #'s mine is 757.252313. What does the GT5000 use to assist in lifting the deck? Maybe the bigger gas tank is in the way?

·
674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
" What does the GT5000 use to assist in lifting the deck? Maybe the bigger gas tank is in the way?"

Nothing but your arm and back are used to asist the lift mech.
If you bought yours in 2000 then it preceeds the one on closeout because: (from sears site)

"Fits garden tractors built 2002 and beyond."

So now we are talking about three sleeve hitches?

The old sleeve hitch is looking better and better I think Argee has this type of Hitch on his tractor. The new one with the handle looks like it may not lift alot of weight. If the old one has a spring asist that will help with mower deck and dozer blade, then I will go for it.

Argee: can you help me out here?

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Ed
Look up the number at sears parts and see what's included, The prefix will be either 757 for brinly or 486 for agri-fab

·
EX Super Mod
5,317 Posts
Originally posted by GT5000
build a rear patio so my wife can sunbathe in her dental floss thong while I try to mow straight.
GT5000 pictures please:D :winky:
Jody

·
Registered
65 Posts
Jodyand:

I will as soon as the weather is better. She's happy that I didn't waste money on a Johnny Regretit (attempting to turn a GT5000 into the CAT D-8 I see on Modern Marvels). In fact, she's so glad that I didn' buy all of those meaningless gadgets that other's purchase trying to make their GT5000 (and other tractors) mimic the dashboard on the Space Shuttle, that she's willing to wear here thong when she drives the tractor.

Who needs gadgets when you have this!

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
I have an early 2003 Sears GT5000, no sleeve hitch.
The deck (and snow plow) lift is a spring assisted lift on my model.

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
aegt5000
Does yours have a spring up under the left side of the rear fender? Does it have a bolt to adjust tension for different weight?

1 - 20 of 46 Posts