Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just obtained an older saw (mid-late 90's I think). I did a search on the www, found a few posts about them on the Bob Vila message boards, but nothing of any use. The saw has never been used, and tonight I put the stand and the wood table together. He cannot find the manual for it.

I am looking for a manual, or a source for one. Sears website offered nothing either. All I know is that the model number is 113-197250, it is electronic with a LED display, and although something simple im sure, I cant get the LED thing to work. I'm thinking it has to be at a certain setting or something for it to zero out, but I am lost.

Is anyone familiar with them? I do not have a pic of it, but could take one if needed.

Anyone out there familiar with them?

Thanks,
Greg

·
Premium Member
1,394 Posts
Oh I am more familiar with a Crapsman Radial Arm saw than I really care to think or remember about. None of it was good in any way shape form or fashion. I may have a manual but it would not cover the digital readout, which is nothing more than a means of measuring and unless Crapsman added an adjustment to compensate for different thickness of blades it was a joke. IIRC it takes a J or an N battery. One of those small square batteries that cost about $5.00 a piece.

The last RAS made by Crapsman I had my hands on was just turned into ingots about 1 month ago...........there were a total of 3 prior to that which would fill the server space up to max, with problems and dealing with Sears lead to, so I am not going there!

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, Argee! That was what I needed. I found and ordered the manual, and also seen the parts diagram; I thought the LED thing would run off electricity. It probably just needs a battery, which I now the numbers for. I got more accomplished in 10 minutes than I did in an hour and a half last night. :D

Chipmaker- tell me how you really feel. LOL I am not too big on "Crapsman" myself after they screwed me around with my tool boxes and air compressor. Other than basic hand tools, everything Craftsman I have was given to me (line trimmer and RAS).

Thanks,
Greg

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wow, thanks again, Argee. Upon looking at the exploded diagram of the RAS, I seen something about a recall on this saw. I called the number, gave her the model # and serial #, and they are sending me a new guard and anti-kickback thing. The cool thing is it comes with a new table top.

They are also sending me a free owners manual...even though I just paid $12 for one (inc. shipping). Oh well, I'm not going to complain. After I get a battery, my total investment should be under $20. :D

Greg

·
Tractor Lover
4,461 Posts
Originally posted by Fusion1970
Wow, thanks again, Argee. Upon looking at the exploded diagram of the RAS, I seen something about a recall on this saw. I called the number, gave her the model # and serial #, and they are sending me a new guard and anti-kickback thing. The cool thing is it comes with a new table top.

They are also sending me a free owners manual...even though I just paid $12 for one (inc. shipping). Oh well, I'm not going to complain. After I get a battery, my total investment should be under $20. :D

Greg
WOW! That's one of those rare good deals that come along now and again...You might want to call an see if you can cancel the manual!

·
Premium Member
1,394 Posts

Greg

Yep they had a major recall on the guard. Just wait until you instal it and then try and see what your cutting or try and make some cuts............virtually impossible the way the guard covers up everything. Your saw sounds more like the late 80's or early 90's series. I opf course sent for the guard kit, and everything else I could get to try and justify the $$$$ I spent on that saw, and never mounted it. I melted it down instead, was more usefull that way.

·
Premium Member
1,394 Posts

Chipmaker- tell me how you really feel. LOL I am not too big on "Crapsman" myself after they screwed me around with my tool boxes and air compressor. Other than basic hand tools, everything Craftsman I have was given to me (line trimmer and RAS).

Thanks,
Greg
Well..........since you asked, I bought a brand new RAS from sears back in 1988. Brought it home and spent three F$#@*&% days trying to get it to be in alignment. Once its aligned it would not hold it if you moved the arm or swung the yoke. Pityfull. I called sears and they sent a tech service rep to do the adjusting and setup...He failed and told me it was a defective saw........so back to sears get a replacement saw, with some high hopes, and also feeling better that Iwas not totally stupid on setting it up. Another saw, same problems, once agaian the tech comes out and pulls his hair out. In the end it had to be adjusted so tight you could hardly crank the arm up or dwon or swing the head. Not what I had envisioned on the saw, and certainly not acceptable. I drag the saw back to sears yet again, and they give me another saw. I get it home and the motor does not work.....then Sears accuses me of hooking it up wrong........nope no way. We go round and round. I finally get another saw after they had to order it, as I had gone through all their in stock saws. It gets delivered to the house, by Sears delivery truck, and its no better than the other saws were. Terrible i holding true adjustments. I carry it back and ask for my money back and was imformed its been over a certain time frame and they could not give me my money back........we went round and round and I left vowing never to set foot in Sears again..........I put up a Sears Ripoff webpage and soon received a registered letter from some high powered Sears attorneys telling me if I did ot take the website down they would see me in court in so many words or less. This bumped on for close to 3 years, getting threatening letters from Sears attorneys etc. But meanwhile my webiste was growing bigger and bigger each day with more stories of ripped off Sears customers.............I eventually gave my site to another coup;le of T'd off Sears customers who kept it and more going for some time. In the meantime I used the saw for what it was worth, still better than a hand saw......but soon after the motor died, and I had reservations on spending the $$$$ they wanted for a new motor.......so I dumped the entire saw into a gulley on my property. It eventually got all covered in by dirt and junk but delighterd each time it got further and further down in the debris in that gulley until now its all filled in and planted over.

You would have thought I learned from that, but heck no, I bought another that was for sale in the classified in the newspaper one day, and it looked like new. Motor worked even. From day one it started its nickeling and dimeing me on odds and ends, and a tight free adjustment ws still impossible. Then the motor died.......so this saw got melted down for the aluminum in my foundry, along with 2 replacement guards on the recall. The saw is ok and better than a hand saw or in some cases even a skill saw, but as to holding its adjustments and really being a POS but may be ok if your not trying to do precision work on it. I have since got a 1947 year DeWalt (before Black & Decker made the DeWalt name a joke) that is as smooth as silk, holds its adjustments, all original parts, 12" blade capacity, and as anything wears its got a lot of self adjusting mechanisims built into it. Its very simple and will cross cut out to 27" with the fence moved to the rear position and its square when it gets cut. Can rip 20' 2 x's without it bogging down or binding like the Crapsman because it could not hold adjustments.

I can swing the head / yoke to any position and it will return to a perfect "0" every time. Swing the head on a bevel and it holds it and returns to 0 time after time.

One thing about the Crapsman RAS. It has a pityfull excuse for a centrifugal start switch onit. I do not think the chinnese could make it any cheaper. All it takes is a spec of sawdust to get in thi piece of plastic wanna be switch and the saw will not start, but just set there and hum and theblade jerks back and forth. You have to take the cover off the motor and blow this switch out and then it will run again. Sometimes I was able to blow it out without taking the covers off, sometimes not.

I don;t consider myself stupid or ignorant whenit comes to setting up any machines such as this RAS, but looking at it now, it was inevitable that it did not hold adjustment just from the way its made and how cheap its made. The bearings the head travels on the arm are sloppy to begin with. The yoke itself lacks in design to be structurally ridgid. The spindly stand and table frame is another story..........and usiing a square type gib to adjust side to side play in the column is poor design, as it does not give any latitude to make fine adjustment and still retain movement easily without slop. I can adjust the tables and slides on my lathe and mills so they are free of slop and move easily but then again they cost a lotmore than a truckload of the RAS would, and they are designed not with pricein mind but with user friendly and serviceability in mind. They always said you can't make a diamond out of dog%^$#, but then again look at what technology has brought us already, so maybe Sears is a front runner in converting junk to treasure, but they really need to work on it a lot more before they start selling it, with the hopes of having satisfied customers.

I inherited a almost new electric hand drill made by Sears. It tore up0 and I asked to get it replaced. Was basically told to take it and leave as they were not going to replace it. I said fine, then here it is throw yur junk away. They said they did not take customers junk to throw away. I left, went back to my truck, and sat there in the cab and totally dissassembled that drill. I put all the bits and pieces in my pockets and then went back into Sears to dosome looking around. It was amazing where and what I placed those pieces of drill at. Bet some Sears repair techs were confused as well..........And here I am a proud new owner of a super Craftsman hose and nozzle and just today I broke down and ordered yet another replacement engine for that Crapsman chipper shredder vac cart to the tune of $279.00.........but it will get fixed, and not used and I will sell it at the first possible opportunity that comes along. Would you not pay 3 or 4 hundred for a like new cart with a brand new motor on it? I certainly would, as long as it was not a Tecumseh and Crapsman product!

·
Premium Member
1,364 Posts
Careful what you ask for Greg :lmao:

We have a Craftsman RAS without the digital readout late 80's model. I'd have to agree with Chipmaker. It is OK but leaves something to be desired in accuracy when compared to older makes and models. I spent a lot of time calibrating it yet I seem to be able to cross cut a wide board straighter with the circular saw. I use the RAS mainly for trim and miter cuts and a table saw for rip cuts.

Mark

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Damn, Chipmaker. Sounds like you had some rough experiences. All I have done with the saw so far is cross-cut a 3/4" piece of plywood about 1' wide just to see how square it cut. Its just a hair off- a credit card could not fit between the edge of the wood and the square. I have not leveled the table yet.

As for sawing, the vast majority of what I will do with it is cross-cut boards for things like shelves or cabinets. I have the miter saw to cut moldings and stuff. What I will use it for more than anything probably is to sand the outside edges of RC boats with the drum sander attachment. As for ripping boards, I will probably just use the circular saw, as I am not too enthused about using a RAS for ripping.

If I start having trouble keeping the thing "in tune", I'll sell it and get something else. Again, after the BS Sears put me through with the tool boxes and air compressor, I am not a fan of Sears to say the least. I had trouble getting my air compressor, then on Father Day, I went to get a bottom roll cab, middle and top box (ball bearing). It was the FIRST day of the sale, and they didnt have the top boxes...he said they were out. Like they sold them all the first day? I dont think so. They never had them there to begin with. After waiting a few days, then a week, then another week, I ended up e-mailing them a not-so-nice letter. They called me a couple days later and said it was in. Been almost a year, and I have not been back in a Sears since.

I hope I have better luck with mine than you guys did, but if it turns out to be a POS, I will sell it and get something else for my "shop".

Greg

·
Premium Member
1,592 Posts
RAS

I have Craftsman Radial Arm Saw that I bought new in 1969. The saw has done a lot of work for me over the years. As Chipmaker says some of the design features could be a lot better. Most of what I use it for now is cross cutting. No digital readout on it. One thing about it is I can tweak this saw in just a minute with the blade wrench as a guide and a rubber mallet. Never had any motor or switch problems with it. I do know one thing, give a radial saw your undevided attention when you use it or it will get you. Damn thing will launch a piece of wood in a heartbeat if you do things wrong.

·
Tractor Lover
4,461 Posts
Years ago a buddy of mine bought a new RAS so he could work on an old, old house they purchased. Wanted me to come over and give him some pointers on it. Well I pulled up in front of his garage which had a side door in back. As I was getting out of the truck I could hear the saw running by the side door. Just then an 8' section of 1X launched itselfout the door and probabably another 50' where it landed harmlessly on the grass. I heard the saw shut off and peeked in the door. There stood my buddy with the most bewildered look on his face. He looked at me and said, "how do you adjust the feed on this dam thing so it doesn't rip so fast?"

After explaining to him that he had the powerhead opposite to the way he wanted to cut, I spent the next hour going over safety, safety, safety....

Luckily no one was hurt....but it goes to show you....read and reread the instruction before firing one of these puppys up.

·
Premium Member
1,394 Posts
I have seen that happen Argee. About the worst that will happen to an operator feeding the wrong way besides embarrasement is possibly a handfull of splinters, but someone at the wrong end could easily get killed. Ripping on a RAS is something you need to pay attention to as feeding in the wrong end will get your attention pretty darn fast!

The older Craftsmen RAS that had cast iron arms were pretty darn decent saws. They were built along the lines of ther Older DeWalt RAS and had substantial material to keep it aligned better, but still had many short commings but nowhere near as many as the cast aluminum pot metal and sheet tin RAS they now market since mid 80's or so. I bet if you put a piece through one of those wrong on a rip it wold break the yoke, or severely tweak it to the point it would need some parts, then again maybe not, it wold probably stall out, all 2.75 Peak Horsepower!

The "Peak Horsepower" manuf state or label on their junk is miss leading as all heck. Just like a "5 hp" shop vac that draws 6 amps or that "7 hp" air compressor that draws 10 amps load........

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
As for Craftsman air compressors, I have used mine many many times, and I have absolutely no complaints. Well, OK, it is LOUD, but no louder than others.

As for measured HP, basically no one is accurate with their descriptions. They can say whatever they want, and the average Joe would have no way of knowing. Especially in smaller engines, what reads 5.2 HP on this "calibrated dyno" could easily read 4.1 on another. With engines this size, dynos are used primarily to compare the readings to the original baseline reading. It will show a definate rise or decrease in HP, but as for telling the honest HP, they leave alot to be desired. Im sure compressors are just the same. To me, I dont care if its .004 HP, as long as it does what I ask of it.

So far, I have had no problems with it. The most demanding thing I use with it is a die grinder. And when boneheads torque aluminum wheels to 130 ft. lbs. with an impact, mine has a little trouble getting them loose...but not at all if torqued to spec. In other words, If I put the wheel on, I will have no problem getting it off. But then again, the impact gun (Devilbiss) could be to blame too, as it's a mid-grade impact.

Anyway, I'll share my experiences with the Crapsman RAS after I have used it some. I just hope I have better luck than you had- I dont think id go back to Sears either after all that.

Greg

·
Tractor Lover
4,461 Posts
Craftsman has always played with the HP ratings on their saws, compressor and now tractors....I don't know why they feel the need to do it:dazed:

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Wow, farmall...you seem pretty experienced for a "high schooler". What do you like better on the Dewalt than the Crapsman? You have obviously used both of them quite a bit.

Chipmaker- I was just checking out your profile. First off, thanks for your service to this country. :D Your website could take days to explore, and I can see how you'd be discriminative. I don't think I will be doing much on my saw compared to what you'd expect out of yours.

Although my question was adequately answered on the very first response (thanks again, Argee), this thread has become somewhat interesting. I'd be glad to provide a complete and detailed list of all the other stuff I own, if you guys are looking for something else to bash.

Wait...what site am I on? Is this the right one? Spike? Is that you? Hello? :furious:

Regards,
Greg

·
Tractor Lover
4,461 Posts
I don't think this thread has turned into a bashing...We have a few folks on here that have very strong feelings about Craftsman....which is fine, it makes for lively commentary.

It's when it turns into derigotory comments toward another member because he bought a specific brand, then that's bashing.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
It's all good. Im just jerkin' their chains. I hate Sears as much if not more than alot of people. I do like my crapsman air compressor, and for the saw, I cant complain...free is hard to beat. For all out woodwork, id rather have a table saw- but im not a carpenter. The saw would have really came in handy last year when I was cutting all the wood for my workbench, compressor closet, shelves, etc- thats basically the last time I have done any "woodwork" other than cutting a small piece of plywood or maybe a 2" x 4". The sanding drum however will come in real handy.

I did also find out that the saw was bought in like 1990 or 91, so it is older than I thought.

I agree too, Argee. Another thing about the great US of A is we all have a choice, and we all have the right to voice our opinions on the choices we make too. Especially in this case, on something I know very little about, it's nice to hear other opinions from people who are experienced with them. On the other hand, we also have the right to poke back a little when prodded. NANA

Greg

·
EX Super Mod
5,317 Posts
Who cares what type of saw it is i take it in a heartbeat. I don't have one of those and if i could come across a deal like that i will take it. I have a crapsman 10" table saw that the woman down the street gave me when she moved. It don't have the side guide but who cares it works and it was free.
Jody

1 - 20 of 29 Posts