Tractor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got an email from JBJR. The craftsman version is ready to be ordered. Also available is an optional one rope trip system using a recoil and a power dump option. I was told earlier that power dump wouldn't be available but see on their web site that it is now. That means you can get a bucket with an atv winch to lift it and the power dump to release it. This looks real nice!

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Styx
Have you checked out the web site? There is a closeup pic of how it mounts that might answer your previous questions. The more I look at it the more I want one.

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Simple John
Hey thanks that was a good read! I like Kent's tractor, real nice! I think it might be the kind of attachment that you keep finding new things to do with, and might become one of the most used, after the deck of course.

·
Registered
4,173 Posts
I agree, they are a new sponsor to the site too..

I wish they could get one for the prestige...

Kent definitely put his to use...

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Didn't know they were a sponsor! All the more reason to supprt them. The great thing about John at JBJR is he answers email real quick with good honest and unbiased answers. You feel as if you're getting good advice not just being sold something.

On another note, where are the sponsors listed? I'd like to support those that support us whenever possible.

·
Registered
4,173 Posts
Originally posted by sixchows
Didn't know they were a sponsor! All the more reason to supprt them. The great thing about John at JBJR is he answers email real quick with good honest and unbiased answers. You feel as if you're getting good advice not just being sold something.

On another note, where are the sponsors listed? I'd like to support those that support us whenever possible.

The links are on the main screen below where it says how many new posts and lists the member info...

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
John
Does it change sponsors after awhile or are there only two so far? Maybe we need to recruit when we order things for our tractors or does Andy and his crew handle that?

·
Premium Member
3,693 Posts
John
Does it change sponsors after awhile or are there only two so far? Maybe we need to recruit when we order things for our tractors or does Andy and his crew handle that?
Feel free to put the name out there Sixchows. Any bites drop a PM to Andy. Worse thing he coud say, is he is not intrested. Best thing? well you may bring more people in to the fourm. Cant beat that.:) :)

·
The Grand Illusion
66 Posts
Styx
Have you checked out the web site? There is a closeup pic of how it mounts that might answer your previous questions. The more I look at it the more I want one.
Yes I have. I think it will work just fine. The fact that the deck can stay on is a huge plus.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
So who has actually ordered the new JBjr for their Sears GT.

I’m dying to pull the trigger on this. From reading Kent’s link
it really does look like a capable tool. If there are any first hand
Sears JBjr experiences out there, please post what you think.

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
aegt5000
The only one I know of that has it so far is Bob Z on GW. His was the donor tractor. As for me, I still can't decide which tractor to get it for. On the craftsman, It would have an atv winch to raise it and power dump to dump it. I could mount another attachment in the rear on the sleeve hitch, such as a tiller to break the ground, or a box scraper, or grader blade, or even have the mower on. This sounds pretty good, but of my two tractors the bolens is more heavy duty. On the bolens, when I add the hydraulic lift system, I'll have up and down pressure. I'll be able to lift the front of the tractor off the ground by dropping the plow blade for example. With the power dump option it adds 6" in height. Oh, and the bolens bucket comes in red! So the thing that's holding me up is, I can use 2 attachments at the same time on the craftsman, but not have any down pressure. The bolens is a stronger tractor, has locking differential, will have down pressure , but I can't use any other attachment at the same time. Oh and did I mention it comes in RED!!

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
sixchows

I think Paramed on GW said he ordered one, don’t know if
he got it or is using it.

I can definitely understand you dilemma. :confused: Being able to use
ground breaking attachments and the JB at the same time would
make the JB much more effective. Having hydraulic down pressure
would also have a significant effect on its capability.

Of course you could set-up the GT with the ground breaking
attachment and set-up the Bolens with the JB and use them BOTH. :cheers:
After prepping the area with the GT, you just jump on the Bolens and dig away. :tractorsm
The other thing to consider is the advantage of having the
hydraulic down pressure for back-blade work, that would be a big plus. :thumbsup:

Yet another thing to consider is most of the JB work will be done in the
growing season, so the deck will probably be on the GT. It’s tuff to
imagine the GT with the Tiller on the back, the deck on the bottom and JB
on the front, with the Bolens sitting idle in the shed. :hide:

Well when you consider all these things, I don’t think any of them really matter.
Forget everything I just mentioned and focus what really counts.
:partydanc Does it come in RED :partydanc

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
aegt5000
The other plus to the bolens is the quick connect, 2 pins and a lift rod with a cotter pin, no brackets to mount and then remove for the snow blower. Down pressure on the rear attachments! I didn't think of that! OOoooooh RED!!!

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
See I told ya…

If you focus on the BIG STUFF and don’t let all that
minutiae get in the way, the path becomes crystal clear.

:flamedevi Sometimes seeing RED is a good thing !! :flamedevi

·
Registered
241 Posts
I was on the verge of ordering the Johnny Bucket Jr, but when I learned that there was no provision to allow you to push down on the bucket I decided to look into the feasibility of installing an electric linear actuator instead of the winch. I think John is a great guy, but so far he's sounded kinda negative towards the idea. I don't know if it's the cost of the actuator that bothers him, or if there just isn't any way to adapt it.
My problem is that I have a major need for it right now, but can't see spending that much money for a bucket without the down-force feature. John and Bob seem to think you do not need the down force. But, every time I've operated any kind of front-bucket machine, the down-force was absolutely necessary.

·
Premium Member
431 Posts
sixchows
I don't know anything about a Bolens but I'd check the front spindles and the steering gear box. I'd probably go with the heavier of the two. I was going to build a front end loader for mine and decided the steering gear is a bit weak with a load on the front.

Although down pressure is nice and would be some help I'm not sure it's necessary. I have a bucket on my GT3000 that I built and the down pressure isn't all that much help. If the material is loose you likely won't have much trouble filling the bucket. If it's hard that's another matter. I made linkage from my sleeve hitch and lift the bucket with that....

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Pete,
The difference between the bolens and the craftsman is like night and day. While the bolens is only a 10hp vs. the 22hp in the craftsman, the design and ruggedness is way beyond the craftsman. The bolens 1050 I have had an optional johnson front end loader available for it back in 1967. Other options were post hole diggers and trenchers, real heavy duty stuff. These tractors were actually called compact tractors in the sales literature. I have no doubt about a JBJr on the front of it. On the other hand, I really like my craftsman, it does anything I ask of it, but given the choice, I think I would have to pick the bolens. It has a cast iron rear with locking differential and plenty of traction with its 3spd dual range transaxle. I've never even used wheel weights on it only chains for snowblowing, and doesn't even need chains for ground engaging work with the turf tires. And at 37years old still runs and looks new, not sure where the craftsman will be in 37years. Do you have down pressure on the bucket you built? The thing that worries me about the craftsman is the spindles and center pivot on the axle. Have you noticed any problems? How much weight can you carry in the bucket? The other reason I'm having trouble deciding on which tractor to use is that I don't know if I want to work the bolens that hard or kind of keep like a collector's item. The mounting is much simpler on the bolens also, just two pins under the axle and a lift rod to the lift arm, the craftsman has a hitch frame that gets bolted to the tractor, and must be unbolted to use anything else on the front, not really a big deal I guess but still something to consider.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts