Tractor Forum banner

Craftsman GT price in 1980

4K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Argee 
#1 ·
The Wife forced me to go to an antique mall last night. It was kind of fun, seeing things I have not seen in alot of years.

While there I saw a sears catalog from 1980. I thumbed through it till I got to the garden tractors. I figured the top of the line model would be around $900 - $1200.

No way, the top of the line was a 18hp 6 speed garden tractor at $2799! That is not to much difference from the price of the top DGT today.

I guess my question here is how and why?
:confused:

#2 ·
Originally posted by Ed_GT5000
The Wife forced me to go to an antique mall last night. It was kind of fun, seeing things I have not seen in alot of years.

While there I saw a sears catalog from 1980. I thumbed through it till I got to the garden tractors. I figured the top of the line model would be around $900 - $1200.

No way, the top of the line was a 18hp 6 speed garden tractor at $2799! That is not to much difference from the price of the top DGT today.

I guess my question here is how and why?
:confused:
I don't know how and why except maybe improved manufacturing practices? Outsourcing the manufacturing? Cutting corners? But it seems to be a great deal to buy it at the same price 24 years later.

#5 ·
It is interesting how certain products rise and dive due to the times and some stay around the same. If memory serves me, I can think of the following few:

1985 Loaded luxury car - about $25k, now $45k - $60k
1985 VCR - $600 to $1000, now about $150
1985 Standard PC IBM Computer $1500 to $2000 now $700
1985 Tablesaw $500? Now $500 - $700
1985 House (Boston area) $125k, now about $400k

I think some manufacturers have constantly changed their methods to hold certain products around the same money. Robotics, outsourcing, more plastics, etc...

If I stop and really thought about it, there is no way I could swing buying a tractor today, if an average one had risen to say $7k.

#6 ·
Originally posted by posullivan

If I stop and really thought about it, there is no way I could swing buying a tractor today, if an average one had risen to say $7k.
I think that statement really hits the nail on the head. It boils down to a matter of economics for the manufacturers. Price them beyond the reach of the average Joe then you might as well shut the doors. That's a market driven promise.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.