Tractor Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wow, I for the first time used a bolt extractor made by craftsman. It looks like a socket but has tapered grooves that grab the bolt
as you loosen. The bolts held the battery box for my 1956 cub lo-boy. There was alot of corrosion in the box and it had rounded
the bolts off badly. I did use some heat and some WD-40 also. My new battery box comes today...Can't wait!

·
EX Super Mod
5,317 Posts
They work good :question: have seen on TV with old Bob Vila have been waiting for some one to try them before i spent the money.
Jody

·
Registered
8,567 Posts
I never have had much luck with easy-outs. I usually end up having to drill out the bolt as much as possible and collapse it with an awl. What does the Craftsman bolt extractors look like?

·
Registered
77 Posts
I usually use a pair of pliers to get rounded off bolts. I would liek to hear somefeedback on the Screwouts by craftsman. Do they have a lifetime warranty also?

·
Registered
361 Posts
:smoking:

Chief, I also bought a Bolt-Out set from Sears last year to get the bolts out of my battery box on my Cub. They look like a socket and instead of the usual 6-or-12 point socked nodes the inside has spiral tapered grips I.D. much like the O.D. spiral grips on an Easy-Out bit.

I have used mine many times now and am very pleased with the results. $20.00 is what I paid for the set and I bitched about the price when I bought them but as far as I am concerned they have paid there rent for living in my tool-box.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, good to hear that others have used these. As Johnbron said he got his battery box off with them, it was my only solution working in such a cramped area. I paid around 20.00 for mine also and there is room in the case for additional bolt-outs. I plan to get them and have the whole set.

·
Registered
8,567 Posts
Originally posted by johnbron
:smoking:

Chief, I also bought a Bolt-Out set from Sears last year to get the bolts out of my battery box on my Cub. They look like a socket and instead of the usual 6-or-12 point socked nodes the inside has spiral tapered grips I.D. much like the O.D. spiral grips on an Easy-Out bit.

I have used mine many times now and am very pleased with the results. $20.00 is what I paid for the set and I bitched about the price when I bought them but as far as I am concerned they have paid there rent for living in my tool-box.
I think I know which ones you are talking about now. I saw an ad on the Discovery Channel about them. The design looks like a good idea and should work well.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts