Tractor Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what do you guys use to fix your cracked steering wheels. i fill the cracks with body filler then sand them down and repaint. the filler works good i'm just checking to see if there is some other way to do it.

·
Registered
361 Posts
:smoking:

I have read on other forums of epoxy fillers being used and a lot of guys have filled the cracks with JB-weld then sanded and painted with what they claim to have had good results. One other person filled the cracks with JB and then covered that with Plasti-Dip. I myself took the easy way out and did nothing to the cracks. I put one of those 1-dollar lace wrapped steering wheel covers on my wheel.:headclap:

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
I was wondering about this too. I have a 41 Case SC that is probably never going to be allowed in a parade or anything (at least not while I own it) How much time does it take to do the bondo/epoxy/jbweld fix up. My steering wheel is badly cracked and is missing lots of pieces so it would be a fairly big job. Also I have tried to get it off the tractor (I had another one I was going to try) but couldn't get it to budge which makes it more difficult also since the tractor won't fit inside my workshop.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
Andy

·
Registered
477 Posts
Im not sure how bad the cracks are, and how many, but heres something that might work. Wrapping thread or string around the wheel to fill in the crack, then saturate the thread with CA glue (basically "Super Glue" for the hobby industry that comes in different viscosities). The thin CA glue will wick into the void.

Or, if you are considering an epoxy type stuff, Marine Tex is about bulletproof, and will sand alot easier than most epoxies. The Eastwood stuff sounds interesting, and I trust their products, but alot of "specialty" things from Eastwood is rather expensive.

One more option...urethane, like what is used to install auto glass. With a little care, it could be shaped before it dries so no trimming or sanding is needed. It's also already black, and would hold up rather well I would think.

Just a few ideas...
Greg

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for the ideas. chrpmaster have you tried a puller on that steering wheel? if there are big peices missing its likely best to look for another wheel. as far as how much time does it take i bondoed 1 yesterday before supper maybe 15 minutes sanded after supper and painted. the 1 on my oliver was done about 10 years ago this way and it still looks allright. was just curious as to how many other ways they were getting done

·
Premium Member
3,693 Posts
Originally posted by bear
what do you guys use to fix your cracked steering wheels. i fill the cracks with body filler then sand them down and repaint. the filler works good i'm just checking to see if there is some other way to do it.
Por 15 has a kit to do it...

Por 15

I have never used the Steering wheel kit, but have used a LOT of there other stuff with great results.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts