Tractor Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Currently the joining of my inlet pipe and muffler is above the hood and it leaks, leaving exhaust residue on the hood. When I purchased the tractor, there was no clamp there. Thinking a clamp would stop the exhaust leak, I added one......to no avail. It still leaks. Having seen numerous make do repairs on this tractor from a previous owner, I suspect the muffler was changed out sometime in the last 8 years and fitted to a corroded inlet pipe only partially or that the inlet pipe is corroded through.
100_1903.JPG
Shouldn't this joint be under the hood?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Ford 2000; 3 cyl. gas; 4/1 trans.....my exhaust pipe extends about 6" above the hood. Because I don't have a barn and use a tarp to protect the tractor, I take the muffler off after it cools and lay it on the foot board until the next session. I leave the loosened U-bolt on the exhaust pipe so I can find it the next time. I slit the female end of the muffler so that the U-bolt flexes the end of the muffler to grip the pipe but I still get a little exhaust leaking and carbon deposits on the hood around the hole. I suppose you could weld an extension on your short stack to make it taller and prevent leaks.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your reply! Taking the muffler off to make covering with a tarp more practical is a great idea! Since you say you still get a bit of leaking, question: did you start with a new pipe and new muffler?

·
790 Posts
IMG_20180520_194116854.jpg
IMG_20180520_194116854.jpg
Hi Grayson. My 3000 diesel when I bought it came with a muffler that was one piece. The end that attached to the manifold is the pipe that goes into the manifold and a cup that goes over top with a muffler clamp. It was a real pain in the ass when I had to take the cowling off . Tight fit and that conecticon always leaked gassing me in the cab. So what I did is cut the pipe 6 inches below the muffler and welded an extension on the other. Brought the extension to the local muffler shop and got them to expand it so the muffler end will slide in. Applied high temperature silicone to all connections, put muffler clamps back on and bingo no more leaking exhaust and no more fuss to take the tins off. Here a pick of the clamp I used can't remember the name

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys for the ideas. One of my preferences is to keep/return my 2000 to original configuration whenever possible and practical. My research leads me to believe this joint and clamp should be under rather than over top of the hood. Somewhere in it's past, my tractor was owned by someone who begrudged the money to make proper repairs and for that reason, I believe that the previous muffler was either knocked askew or rusted through and a new one fitted onto the old inlet pipe only part way due to corrosion of the inlet pipe. The proof of my theory will be when new parts arrive later in the week.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Got this project finished. I was wrong in that the muffler was fully seated on the old inlet pipe. The inlet pipes being sold for Ford 2000 3 cylinders are 15 1/2" when the originals were apparently 13 1/2". After careful measurements, I took my new inlet pipe to a muffler shop and had 5" cut out and then re-welded the 1 7/8 swedge back on.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts