Tractor Forum banner

Controlling Insects?

2K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  Fusion1970 
#1 ·
It seems something is eating the leaves on the plants in the veggie garden. The brussel sprouts are getting the worst of it followed by the broccoli. I see it to a lessor degree on the tomatoes, bell peppers, string beans, and corn. The holes start as tiny pin holes and then seem to grow but I don't see anything doing it. Could it be something nocturnal? I'm thinking about using either a spray or dust but would appreciate any suggestions.

#6 ·
Originally posted by sixchows
It seems something is eating the leaves on the plants in the veggie garden. The brussel sprouts are getting the worst of it followed by the broccoli. I see it to a lessor degree on the tomatoes, bell peppers, string beans, and corn. The holes start as tiny pin holes and then seem to grow but I don't see anything doing it. Could it be something nocturnal? I'm thinking about using either a spray or dust but would appreciate any suggestions.
Look on the back side of the leaf, that's where you may find the culprits...aside from using the myriad of chemicals available you could introduce beneficial insects that feed on the ones that are destroying your plants. Or you could use some home remedies like Jerry Baker talks about in his book. You need to identify it first.

#7 ·
Like Memmurphy and BigL22, I agree with the seven dust. I use seven dust on my herbs because bugs were munching on my basil and jalapeno pepper plants. I also applied it to my parsley, and the rabbits are now leaving the parsley alone too.

And also like BigL said, it will wash off with rain. After a good rain, I just apply it again.

Just pay attention to the label, as different vegetables require a different amount of time to "use before harvest". With herbs, I just wash them off real good before useing them.

Greg

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.