Tractor Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just read in a local paper about gas that had come from a terminal in Pa. that is contaminated with lead. It was distributed by Marathon Ashland Petroleum. Complaints from WVa., Pa., and Ohio of cars running rough or stalling and mechanics finding the fuel systems clogged with gray-white particles led to the investigation. Anyone from these states having any problems
may want to look for this.

·
EX Super Mod
5,317 Posts
How in the world did lead in up in the gas:question: I thought they had to add lead to the gas until they outlawed it.
Jody

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Jody,
The article does not really say. Here it is in it's entirety

Tuesday May 4, 2004
Lead-tainted gas blamed for car troubles
by The Associated Press

CHARLESTON, W.Va. (AP) - Investigators have identified lead as the cause of contamination in gasoline blamed for car troubles in West Virginia, Pennsylvania and Ohio.

"We have tracked the contamination backward to a certain terminal in Pennsylvania," Dennis Harrison, program director for fuel quality testing at the state Division of Labor's Office of Weights and Measures, said Monday. "We feel that the incident is over with but that doesn't mean people still won't be breaking down. A one shot deal in this business could mean a million barrels."

The lead was traced to a gasoline terminal and processing facility operated by Kinder Morgan Energy Partners in Indianola, Pa., near Pittsburgh, said Linda Casey, spokeswoman for Marathon Ashland Petroleum, which distributed much of the contaminated fuel at its stores or sold it to wholesalers.

No contaminated fuel was found at the company's Marathon or Speedway SuperAmerica retail outlets, she said.

"What we're finding is vehicles are running rough or stalling and are in need of repairs," Casey said. "Mechanics are finding the fuel system is clogged with gray-white particles, which have been identified as inorganic lead. The fuel systems are cleaned and or replaced as needed."

Kinder Morgan was aware of the situation and has started its own investigation, spokesman Rick Rainey said.

"There is no evidence to support that there is any kind of reason to believe we have not met federal guidelines with the product that has been produced," Rainey said. "We tested each batch and have not seen anything outside of EPA guidelines."

Harrison said that may be because the particulate was so fine it passed through the standard filtration system. But once the fuel was in vehicle gas tanks, it began clumping together.

·
Premium Member
1,364 Posts
Here's a link to one article.

News Day

I was having some strange problems with my truck. I changed the fuel filter, run some injector cleaner, and checked the sensor connectors. After a couple of days the check engine light went out and since then it seems to have healed itself. I just figured I probably have one of the computer sensors going intermittent. I have not scanned it for stored codes yet. The fuel filter was the original with 5 years and 38K so it need to go anyway. I did not see any particles in the fuel that drained out while changing it. I'm not sure whether Marathon would have supplied the wholesale supplier of the stations I use or not.

Maybe I should sue them for the price of the fuel filter.:D

Mark

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
I think there was some here couple years ago. My teacher was tellin me about his son that works for chevy dealer, they were happy with all the injectors they replaced.
Ryan

1 - 7 of 7 Posts