Tractor Forum banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
NH Workmaster 50(new to me) 2019 year, IH 464 Diesel, 1976 year model.
21 Posts
This is the reason I do not buy from my local hardware/equipment dealer. He charges the LIST price. Its 1/4 that from online dealers. If they don't want to do business, don't do business.

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
This is the reason I do not buy from my local hardware/equipment dealer. He charges the LIST price. Its 1/4 that from online dealers. If they don't want to do business, don't do business.
Big difference in overhead cost with a brick/mortar store and an on-line retailer. I'm really lucky in that there is a big player in the on-line mower part game located less than 10 minutes from me. He was in the repair business for 20 years and then realized there was way more $$$ to be made selling parts on-line. He converted his shop to a warehouse, he also has a regular store front, and his kids all work for him. His on-line prices are as good as anybody and he gives me 20% off because I have a sales tax license and a County business permit. If he don't have the part in stock, it's takes at most 2 days, and he doesn't charge me shipping. 80% of his sales are on-line.....

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
I remember my oldest brother worked for the local NAPA dealer in college and part of his job was pricing and stocking the parts as they came in off the truck.....This was 35 years ago long before the online stuff.....Totally crazy the make up on parts....I remember him telling me, for example, that spark plugs had a 300% mark up from what they paid for them.......

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
I remember my oldest brother worked for the local NAPA dealer in college and part of his job was pricing and stocking the parts as they came in off the truck.....This was 35 years ago long before the online stuff.....Totally crazy the make up on parts....I remember him telling me, for example, that spark plugs had a 300% mark up from what they paid for them.......
... and that's why I rarely ever set foot in an autoparts store. RockAuto.com or others tend to be far better. :)

Reactions: unsquidly

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
When it comes to auto parts, unless I have to have it that day or the next I use RockAuto or AutoPartsWarehouse website......
I use RockAuto all the time to get x-reference part #'s. Their prices are good, but the shipping is pricey and kinda iffy as far as time..... Depends on from where the part ships.

I read where they are based in Madison, WI, and supposedly they ship parts directly from the manufacturers to customers...... Translated, that means they are a "Drop Shipper" and have way lower overhead cost than an operation with a warehouse full of parts inventory on the shelf and an army of employees to make the logistics work.

Office space, phone, computer system, coffee machine, a load of vendor contracts, and a bathroom is about all you need..... Supposedly owned by a guy named Tom Taylor

·
Registered
3,041 Posts

·
Administrator
11,089 Posts
Serves you right.... Paid $45 yesterday at Lowes for six 2x4x8's and it said CANADA all over them;)
Them dang US tariff's! :sneaky: Went to pick up some 7' steel "T" Posts at the building center last week...... $15.00 each!o_O Course, they has USA cast into them...LOL
I actually do shop there from time to time for the my tractors, usually MACS in Lockport, NY for car parts.
Some stuff is getting hard to find these days!

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
Them dang US tariff's! :sneaky: Went to pick up some 7' steel "T" Posts at the building center last week...... $15.00 each!o_O Course, they has USA cast into them...LOL

I actually do shop there from time to time for the my tractors, usually MACS in Lockport, NY for car parts.
Some stuff is getting hard to find these days!
Had a Buddy of mine that actually worked at Dennis Carpenter's in Concord, NC. That place is AWESOME!!! It's not just a parts warehouse, it's like a museum also. There is some really cool stuff on display there and you can spend hours just looking around. Downside is they're only open Monday - Thursday

21 - 32 of 32 Posts