1. When diagnosing an issue, or showing off your tractor or implement, it's important to add images so we all know what you're talking about. Especially when it comes to issues and repairs it's important to include as many images as possible to help our members diagnose your issue. To upload images, use the Upload a FIle button found towards the bottom right of the post response box or a new thread, If you ever have questions please feel free to contact me, My username is Austin.
    Dismiss Notice

confused with what i have.

Discussion in 'Ford / New Holland' started by reebadoo, Jan 12, 2018 at 9:31 AM.

1. reebadoo

reebadoo New Member

Friday
    So i have a problem, i have a ford tractor and i have no idea what it is. it doesn't have the side panels that have the model number on them. i have tried to get on the cnh portal and was unable to look up the tractor number and i was wondering what it could be and why i haven't been able to look it up. Any idea and if you can help it would really help. unfortunately i have no idea where to look for information and if anyone can help it would be amazing.
    tractor number ( a926298 )
    model number ( uc7 15m )
    unit number ( 0e11b)

2. sixbales

sixbales Well-Known Member

May 17, 2011
    Welcome to the tractor forum reebadoo.

Your tractor's numbers translate as follows:

Model UC715M:
    Ford 8630 flat deck tractor (Mfg 1990-1993), Diesel engine (121HP), Independent PTO 540/1000 rpm, 16 x 4 dual power transmission

Mfg Code 0E11B - Your tractor was built on May 11th, 1990, day shift.

Serial Number A926298 - The "A" denotes tractor was built in Antwerp, Belgium.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018 at 11:06 AM

3. reebadoo

reebadoo New Member

Friday
    Is this a European tractor or was this tractor made for the us? unfortunately i attempted to look it up on my schools Case/New Holland and it did not appear on the site from the us, so would it be an international model? one thing i noticed it has a 4 speed with high low so it is only an 8 speed forward 2 reverse.

Graysonr likes this.
  4. Graysonr

Graysonr Registered User Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2017
  5. sixbales

May 17, 2011
    The "M" in the model number indicates that the tractor as originally built had a 16 x 4 dual power transmission. Therefore, the transmission has been swapped out somewhere along the way. This is not unusual with these old Ford tractors. The 8 speed transmission is very durable.

The 8630 was built in Antwerp, Belgium. It may have been made for US consumption, but beyond that I cannot answer your question.

Graysonr likes this.
  6. Graysonr

Mar 31, 2017
    As far as being a US model or made for European use, starting in 1965 with the "thousand series" ford brought the old fordson line into the general mix and from that time on fords were generically international. Those built to stay or go into countries that had specific safety/design requirements were built specifically for those countries. ie: England required different fenders, different lighting, and probably other changes as well. The current parts info on the NH website support all these variations (at least for my model). There is a lot of info available on www about this Ford in this time frame. This also was a trying time for the ford dealers, at least in the US. The dealers were forced to purchase the parts books on microfische (no one knew how that worked) but most continued getting the printed parts books as well. Old Henry's idea of a universal tractor for all obviously fell to the wayside (it had to in order compete with other popular brands). The first plastic parts showed up in April 1968. I know as my 68 ford 2000 has plastic grilles. The dealers wondered how in heck they could sell tractors with plastic parts. So a growing time for the ford dealers and employees. Not to mention that dealers had to stock several models instead of just 1 or 2.

FredM likes this.
  7. Graysonr

Mar 31, 2017
    I was at the Ford tractor dealer a good deal during the early 60's to 67 as I had what you might call a small business as a teen doing custom plowing/harrowing and snow plowing in winter. So I saw many of the Thousand series new. Never saw one with a horn for example. Mine had a hole in the dash panel and I found in the parts list that it was for a horn button. NH actually had the cover for it available and I quickly ordered it. Yesterday investigating a big tractor graveyard/junkyard/equipment sales place I saw a 3000 model with a horn button!

FredM likes this.
  8. reebadoo

reebadoo New Member

Friday
    im not sure its just when i searched the model number in the case portal nothing came up. maybe pictures will help
    20170817_184001.jpg 20171224_141340.jpg 20171224_141349.jpg 20171224_141401.jpg 20180112_130858.jpg

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018 at 2:22 PM
    Graysonr and FredM like this.
  9. Graysonr

Mar 31, 2017
    The model number comes up on the New Holland site. Here is another parts company that has good parts research resources. http://www.messicks.com/
    Between it and the New Holland site I gave you, you can at least find parts. You've got good ID on the tractor, bear in mind the different transmission, as for knowing what country yours was built for, if you're in the US, that's a pretty good assumption for a starting point. Too bad there's so little history available on the old tractors. The only chance you got really is if it's stayed in the family since new.

FredM likes this.
  10. sixbales

May 17, 2011
    Here's a photo of an 8630:

Ford 8630 Tractor.jpg

You can find parts at the: "New Holland Online Parts Store" or at "Messick's" as graysonr suggested.

11. jhngardner367

jhngardner367 Moderator Staff Member

Apr 4, 2011
    Lonoke,Arkansas
    Why,if it's a NH/Ford,would you look in the CASE portal ??

FredM and sixbales like this.
  12. reebadoo

reebadoo New Member

Friday
    the sight i used was the portal.cnh,com and i went to the nh part of the sight so i just called it case. sorry my terminology was off. ive been told that it is around a tw15 or the 8530. im trying to pin down the model so i can get the parts and the correct specs. i have to go through just about everything. everything needs work. and i am in the us. i know we have only had the tractor for around 2 years and its my production product in school. so im just confused on what it is. once i find out i can get to some real work on getting it fixed to spec.

jhngardner367 likes this.
  13. Graysonr

Mar 31, 2017
    http://www.tractordata.com/farm-tractors/005/9/6/5965-ford-8630.html
    use this link to see for yourself. As sixbales informed you in msg above your serial number is in the 8630 model series built in 1990. Ford never reused any serial number sequence a second time. The tractor data link above tells you pretty detailed specs. Hope this helps you, or perhaps you could explain what you are confused about?

14. reebadoo

reebadoo New Member

Friday
    i just had no idea where to start and so many different tractors looked so close and i wanted a second opinion to try and get the best understanding i could of what i had. im kinda new to tractors and so im not to knowledgeable to what i have and what i come across. so i just wanted to reach out and get help. Thank you. now i have to pull the engine and rebuild it and possibly sleeve it. i just have no knowledge on any ford tractors and very little on other brands.

15. jhngardner367

jhngardner367 Moderator Staff Member

Apr 4, 2011
    Lonoke,Arkansas
    Then you have come to the right forum,young man!
    Many here,are familiar with them,and will,I'm sure be glad to help !
    WELCOME,to the FORUM !!

16. Graysonr

Mar 31, 2017
    Hi reebadoo, before proceeding, I would suggest you find the engine serial number (my experience is that it's not the same as the tractor) most likely you'll find it above the oil pan on the left side. With the engine serial number in hand, the experts here, or your NH parts man should be able to tell you about the specifics of the engine the factory put in your tractor. Ford factories were frugal and sometimes sleeved some engines to downsize the cubic inches (from a higher hp model) if the engine didn't work out at a larger displacement. But the engine serial number tells all. At least as new as that tractor is, it's unlikely that someone has already rebuilt it. But.....first things first, why do you think it needs rebuilding?

17. reebadoo

reebadoo New Member

Friday
    the engine sn is E6NN-6015-EA

i removed the oil drain plug and there was straight coolant for a few inches of a 5 gallon bucket then it came out mixed. we had to start it to get it moved into position but then we drained the oil and it came out as a tan mix of oil and coolant. then i pressure tested the radiator hoping it was just the oil cooler in the radiator that had a issue between the passages but the water that we filled it with started coming out of the oil pan. i removed the plug just to see if the water would come out.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2018 at 9:07 AM
  18. Graysonr

Mar 31, 2017
    That looks like an engine casting number (raised letters about 1" high) rather than a serial number (about 3/8" high stamped into the block lip where the pan attaches on mine). You have now had all the wisdom I possess and I suggest you wait for one of the more experienced members who watch this forum to help out. If it ran on 6 cylinders when you moved it, sounds more like a blown head gasket than a cracked block to me, but to be honest, since owning my tractor, my new bff is a good mechanic! A chat face to face with your NH parts man with all your data in hand might also be a good idea just to see what you are facing price wise. Also, you mentioned this was a work project for school, so what's your advisor at school say about the symptoms?

19. reebadoo

reebadoo New Member

Friday
    ive heard that the cylinders are prone to having holes in the cylinders. from cavitation and and we filled the radiator and pressurized it with a snapon pressure tester. and it only held pressure for a few minutes but the water was running out of the cold engine oil pan.

20. Graysonr

Mar 31, 2017
    General line of thought is to start with the less expensive problem first. Have you done compression tests on the engine? fuel off, throttle wide open, air cleaner out and only injector on cylinder being tested out . This would tell you if you have a cylinder compromised. I'm not a diesel guy, but you don't want the engine to fire when doing compression checks. A good test is all cylinders within 10% of the others.