Tractor Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
849 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
My friend got a new computer and took his old one with Win 98 SE out to his shop. He is not online in his shop and the computer was working good when he took it out of his house. Now when it boots up he gets a program in the middle of his screen that says menue one with choices under it then it switches to menue 2 and back and forth. It does it so fast that he can't read what they say. He has no way to close it and if he tries to put the curser on it the curser goes behind the program. any ideas or guesses?
Rodster:question:

·
Premium Member
1,443 Posts
I would try and press and hold F8 when it is booting (see link below). You will then be prompted for different boot options. I would try safe mode first to see if the problem goes away. After that I would try and track down the offending thing and fix it... which I can't comment on since I don't know what it is.

http://www.computerhope.com/issues/chsafe.htm

·
Registered
499 Posts
It's likely a loose connector causing it to go into BIOS setup because it can't find something - like the hard drive or floppy.

Get him to open the cover and make sure all of the cable ends are seated well, and all of the cards are secure in their slots.

While he's at it, get him to blow out or vacuum out the dust and cobwebs.

Tell him to either ground himself, by touching a known ground or a water pipe before touching anything. And do the same with any tools he uses.

IF, IF, IF he leaves the power supply attached and plugged in, the power supply box will be a known ground. But make sure he shuts off the rocker switch on the power supply before fooling with the cables. Those contacts don't have enough metal to be using them for live connections. Do it enough and they'll look like Paul's ignition points when his tractor was quitting on him!

It should find all the devices and start up normally then.

·
Registered
849 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Guys
I will pass the info on to him. he does not live close so I can't go over to help him.
Rodster

1 - 4 of 4 Posts