Tractor Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently picked up a 69 Ford 3400, power steering, 8 speed, 730 loader, live PTO, originally a backhoe but no longer and no diff lock or 3 point deck plate. I’m looking for a rear end swap because there is no rear hydraulic system in the current back end. Down the road from me is a 70 4000 with a blown motor I could pick up with some labor trading. It’s an 8 speed, live PTO, diff lock and 3 link. I know there are some big differences like 4.4x4.4 bore and stroke in the 4000, wet brakes, bigger rear end and so on. Because of growing up with a grandfather that had a Ford grave yard out back part of me says the two halves should go together with a different flywheel but that was 20 + years ago. Depending on what’s actually wrong with the engine in the 4000 rebuilding it is a possible option, especially if I’m way off about what it would take to swap the back end. Thoughts?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
🤔🤔 if the counter shaft, clutch and most other transmission parts are the same on the 2000, 3000 and 4000 in those two years then it’s possible it’s just a split and get? I may swing through there with some measuring sticks this weekend and double check bolt patterns......

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Took a look at the 4000 Saturday, its back in a swamp area so it’s going to have to stop raining for a couple weeks before I can actually get it out. Even with slopping around in the mud and the rain it looks like the bolt pattern should match up with the heavier front end on the 3400.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts